2nd hand boat, importance of it's age?

chagzuki

Featured Posts

You can pay extra and get a full engine survey but for a BMC it is probably a bit over the top to be honest. The bits are readily avaliable to fix them and dont cost the earth and a replacement engine wont be stupid money if/when the day finally comes to replace it.

We did have a full engine survey on our big Volvo but at £15k for a replacement we needed to know it was in fine fettle!!

I'd imagine that most of what a survey uncovers is maintenance that'll need doing within a time-frame, but isn't absolutely immediately necessary. Is this a moment for pure bargaining over whether the seller should foot the bill for specific renovations? I guess that a decent broker might remove some of these uncertainties due to having a proper concept of market value. . . but I've just been reading about how certain brokers are the equivalent of the dodgiest used-car salesmen.

Are there any conventions in terms of what renovations a seller will typically be expected to cover the cost of, post-survey?