Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

Stephen Fulcher

Featured Posts

I recently paid a visit to the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal at Talybont-on-Usk.

It is clear that this canal runs through some very interesting countryside in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

What I am interested to know is that if I were to hire a boat on this canal, is there enough to keep us occupied for a week? It would seem that it is possible to navigate the whole length of the canal in each direction in less than that. CanalplanAC thinks 3 days at 10hrs. There is no way that I would travel for 10 hours a day, but am interested to know if there is enough to do for 4 or 5 hours a day, because only about 5 hours navigation would be required for the trip to last a week.

On a separate issue, does anyone have any experience of any of the hire fleets on the canal, and if so, what are they like? I did see a couple of hire craft, but did not get close enough up to them to form an opinion. Are they value for money?

I recently paid a visit to the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal at Talybont-on-Usk.

It is clear that this canal runs through some very interesting countryside in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

What I am interested to know is that if I were to hire a boat on this canal, is there enough to keep us occupied for a week? It would seem that it is possible to navigate the whole length of the canal in each direction in less than that. CanalplanAC thinks 3 days at 10hrs. There is no way that I would travel for 10 hours a day, but am interested to know if there is enough to do for 4 or 5 hours a day, because only about 5 hours navigation would be required for the trip to last a week.

On a separate issue, does anyone have any experience of any of the hire fleets on the canal, and if so, what are they like? I did see a couple of hire craft, but did not get close enough up to them to form an opinion. Are they value for money?

Stephen,

I've "done" the Mon & Brec twice in the last few years (1st time was during the foot & mouth crisis so we were restricted to where we could go, hence the 2nd trip). There is plenty to keep you occupied for a week and it is very pretty. We hired from Cambrian cruiser at Pencelli the 1st time, and from Beacon Park Boats the 2nd. Not a lot of difference in costs but I would say the Beacon boats were much better. We had their widebeam (8'6") for just the two of us and it was great (if a bit tight on some bridges). I understand they have some very new boats now, complete with luxury fitouts (at a price).

Bill

According to my Nicholsons, the Mon & Brec.

Maximum dimensions;

Length 44ft 3ins. ......Beam 8ft 6ins.........Headroom 5ft 6ins...........Draught 2ft 6ins

22 miles long it says in the text but looks longer than that, it was never connected to the main system but linked various tramway systems. Looks like a good leisurely week's holiday to me, lots of pubs and interest. I've never been there.

Narrowboat hire, Red Line Boats ...........01873 880516

Breacon Park Boats .............................01873 858277

Castle Narrowboats ............................ 01873 830240

Country Craft Narrowboats.................. 01874 676401

Cambrian Cruisers ............................. 01874 665315

Edited by John Orentas

I took my very first narrowboat holiday about 5years ago on the Monmouth & Brecon canal with Brecon Park Boats.In the 20 or so miles from thier wharf to Brecon you will experience most features of canals including locks,electical opperated lift bridges + hand opperated bridges,tunnel and aquaduct.It is one of the most scenic canals in the country but beware of the bug I caught the bug on that weeks holiday and it got into blood.The only way I found to control the "bug" was to take early retirement and buy my own boat We now take 7 or 8wk. cruises to keep it under control and are enjoying some of the most enjoyable days of are lives.It all started with a week on the Mon. & Bec. so give it a go you will love it.

Does the widebeam fit through the locks ok?

Stephen,

Would have been a short cruise if they did'nt :blush:

I think the locks must be about 9ft wide as they only just fit in. Bit like a normal NB on a narrow canal. You don't really notice the extra width that much except when you go under some of the bridges which are decidedly lop sided and often on bends as well.

Bill