Cowburn and Cowpar query

Joseph

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

And Happy New Year!

Some may recall queries about Norman Anglin, who travelled waterways in the late 1920s on the converted Shropshire Union boat Russian. I have found out a fair amount about Mr Anglin and his voyages on Russian - something that he wrote about for a national newspaper.

In one article, he refers to Russian passing the Jean, near Stone, in October 1928. Jean was traveeling from Coventry to Manchester, and i have assumed that this was a Cowburn & Cowpar boat. This surmise is unconfirmed, sadly, as I have seen a list of C&C boats from the 1930s and Jean is not amongst them.

Has anyone any information that could shed light on the Jean? I would prefer not to leave my surmise as a surmise!

As ever, I would be grateful for any assistance.

Regards

Joseph B

I know very little of Cowburn and Cowpar boats, but an article was published on them in the Autumn 2008 edition of Narrow Boat magazine.

The list there does indeed show a boat Jean which joined the fleet in 1927, and appears to have been an unpowered boat, built at Rathbone Brothers, Stretford.

I am simply repeating what is listed, so make no claims to the list's accuracy!

can't help on this other than to say that AFAIK all the CC boats were named after birds Snipe, Skylark etc but I may well be wrong

That was the later built motor boats - Many of the earlier boats were named after simple forenames like Jean & Joan, but also male ones, like Brian & David.