Guitar Players ( 'lectric )

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

So .... which of your heads is your favourite ? I like the look of the AC4, but obviously it's the sound that counts. I also require it to have reverb because I don't want to have to run the Boss all the time. The Blackstar HT-1 looks good as well.

The AC4 definitely sounds the best. The AC4 combo doesn't sound quite as good as the AC4TVH because the speaker is smaller. The AC4TVH sounds better through the Epiphone speaker cab than through the Vox cab.

Be very wary of valve amps with built in reverb...

(bear with me on this)

To get the best sound, it's a valve output stage you need to be overdriving. That's what you'd be doing with an AC4.

Overdriving a valve preamp, then running that through a solid state power amp still sounds shit unless the preamp has a good speaker simulator.

If you get a valve amp with reverb, the reverb will be in the preamp (obviously). So you overdrive the valve preamp, that's then reverbed, then goes to the power amp. If the power amp is solid state, it still sounds like a shitty transistor amp.

If the power amp is valve then you either don't overdrive it, in which case you only get the sound of the overdriven preamp, or you do overdrive the power amp, in which case you've now got distorted reverb (which sounds shit) as opposed to reverbed distortion (which is what you really want).

Basically you can't have a valve amp with built in reverb that sounds good, they all sound shyte.

Running your Boss (to get the reverb) into a valve amp, and getting the distortion from the valve amp will also sound shyte.

The only way to get decent reverb on a valve sound is to add it after the speakers. Nothing else works.

Now I could argue that anyone who wants to put reverb on a distorted guitar is probably deaf anyway so they won't hear the difference :)

I don't know how to post links but if you want check out 'Charlie 'Ungry. Something may come up with some stuff we did in the 70s. Mainly Les Paul Custom and a 1959 100 watt Marshall head and a four by twelve can. Did some with a rock and roll baby. Don't be too critical. We were only young.

Just checked. Nothing comes up. Probably just as well.

I'm now listening to them on Youtube.