Tradesfolk or Knowledgeable People on the K & A

sooz

Featured Posts

Right, it's just under a week until we finally take delivery of our boat. With huge thanks to everyone who helped us in the 'Niggles or Concerns' thread, we think we have our priorities sorted for what tasks to tackle and in what order. Now, however, we are wondering where the best places to find local tradesfolk might be?

In the first instance, we will need a gas-bod to check our cooker and a plumber (or just someone better with tools than we are) to replace the thermostatic mixer shower majiggey. Do we need to look for someone who is specifically used to working on boats? I'm presuming that would make sense, but am also wary of being charged a premium for what could essentially be quite simple tasks.

We've also got a couple of less-essential things we'd like to consult an electrician about and we would like to get a carpenter to have a look at knocking up some small drop-leaf tables. Again, would we need boat-specific folk for these jobs? They won't be done till some point in the future, mind.

I know that a couple of local marinas / boatyards will do such things, but I wondered whether we'd be best looking for independent tradesfolk. Yes, by 'best' I mean financially, I admit. Whilst not wanting to do things 'on the cheap', we are needing to be a tad more frugal than we have been thus far (tell me, is it normal to set a budget for a boat and then 'just have a look' at others that are beyond said budget but to end up falling in love?)!

Any recommendations greatly appreciated, thank you (those with lovely-caring-attitudes-towards-newbies-who-have-already-gone-way-over-budget-and-are-happy-to-accept-payment-by-way-of-liquid-refreshment especially welcomed!) =D

Oh yes, we'll be based near Devizes on the K & A, by the way.