Squirrel Stove Modifications

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

A few boat fires have been attributed to stoves greatly overheating when the ashpan door was left open. (Chap went ashore to empty ashpan, got talking to another boater as you do, came back to a blazing boat). This would not happen if the front door was also open. Perhaps this is the reason (in addition to the overheated grating mentioned earlier)

I take it you mean BSS Examiners? I dont think they will be greatly interested. The new BSS guidlines coming into force on 1st Jan do have some additional checks on stoves, but I think, with reference to your comment, the examiner will still only be checking for signs of burning or scorching in the surrounding structures and materials.

I, for one would look and probably discuss, but no action if no such indications found..)

Alan, thanks for your post. Do you happen to know whether the guidance on the BSS website will be the same for next year's inspections, or if the new guidance is available yet? We're making modifications now with an eye on getting our inspection done in March y'see. Thanks :)

Alan, thanks for your post. Do you happen to know whether the guidance on the BSS website will be the same for next year's inspections, or if the new guidance is available yet? We're making modifications now with an eye on getting our inspection done in March y'see. Thanks :)

There will be a few differences after 1st January. The new guide is not out yet, I am sure that BSS will put it on their website soon.

Most of the changes are just in the "phrasing" of certain requirements" There are also to be some additional checks with regard to AC mains. The new "stove" requirements are about unintentional "openings" and the like in the stove and flue i.e Cracked glass, damaged door seal etc. I am unwilling to comment further until I have read the finished new guide, done the assessments and attended the seminar about it

A bit Sarky Alan.

Sorry Spud. Not intended to be Sarky. Just was not sure if your were talking about Surveyors or Examiners. The approach of a surveyor is of course a bit different.

(Not a "Box ticker" for a start.)

Edited by Radiomariner

Sorry Spud. Not intended to be Sarky. Just was not sure if your were talking about Surveyors or Examiners. The approach of a surveyor is of course a bit different.

(Not a "Box ticker" for a start.)

I know you weren't Alan, ignore me, its just my warped sense of humour & I realise there is a difference between the two. I know what you mean though, I used to get wound up (easy I know!) when being referred to as a Dental Mechanic, instead of a Dental Technician.

Oh, & barge instead of narrowboat!

Better leave THAT discussion to the VP.

:lol:

Edited by Spuds

There will be a few differences after 1st January. The new guide is not out yet, I am sure that BSS will put it on their website soon.

Most of the changes are just in the "phrasing" of certain requirements" There are also to be some additional checks with regard to AC mains. The new "stove" requirements are about unintentional "openings" and the like in the stove and flue i.e Cracked glass, damaged door seal etc. I am unwilling to comment further until I have read the finished new guide, done the assessments and attended the seminar about it

Thank you :)