Is it time to say bye bye to 12V Dc lighting.

Featured Posts

For the last few years the BMEA have been suggesting that the new generation of 230 AC low energy lighting would be very suited to marine use.

br0711i.jpg

l0501cb.jpg

It seemed to make sense but no one really wanted to risk being the guinepig.

Anyway eventually we have had a customer request this option and so far it seems to be very impressive.

The majority of the lighting is in the form of individually switched wall lights using the low energy version of the GU10 bulb, at 9w this approximates to around 40w in a standard GU10 bulb and the bulb is rated at 7x the standard life.

The boat also utilises the GX53 palm light bulbs in 7w and 9w forms these especially seem very suited to roof mounted lighting.

The system seems to be behaving well at the moment but obviously we made the contingency to revert back to a DC system if we encounter problems.

The lighting was supplied by MEGAMAN and you can find a technical PDF of the lights HERE

So we will have to see if this is the way forward in the future. :D

Gary, is there not a place for LED lighting now?

It seemed all the rage just a few months ago so that 12 volt could stay with a better end result.

We use quite a lot of LED lighting but mainly for night or safety lighting The best LED technology capable of providing high intensity lighting is called Luxeon, unfortunately these lights are very voltage sensitive and need a circuit matched stabilized PSU which up to recently required a 230V AC supply but a 12v DC unit as just become available so this opens up the possibilities somewhat.

We have used these with very good results on a number of boats.

The best source for these lights is COLLINWOOD LIGHTING unfortunately they wont deal directly with the public, but they will supply through a dealer.

LEDs have there place, however, from what infomation i have researched florrencents still produce far more light per amount of electricty (lumins/watt) than LEDs can. Espcially white LEDs.

Daniel

I mentioned Megaman lighting ages ago.

Compact fluorescents at about £2 are still quite useable behind wall fittings or bulkhead type.

I still think it's worth having a skeleton of 12V lighting as backup, although this is much less efficient.