Reconditioned engine - potential big problem

richardf

Featured Posts

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and to have the Kelvin P4 that I bought about three years ago installed in my boat - the existing engine was just not reliable and therefore I thought I would cash in my insurance policy and stop worrying about it! It looks like this might not be the case.

The engine was restored by a well known and reputable restorer, has been filled with a water and anti freeze mix in my garage - until this week it has not been run.

So the old engine is removed and the replacement is running well in the yard. The engine oil is changed just before it goes in the boat and the old oil is emulsified,so must be in contact with water somewhere. There are new pistons and liners fitted and new CH gaskets.

They have refilled it with oil and water overnight and will check it again in the morning, but I can only assume that it will happen again and none of us want to go ahead if there is any chance of a problem.

I assume (although it's a guess) that either a gasket or cylinder liner is leaking. The gasket is not a big issue, but the liner seals sounds like a biggie to me and is well outside my field of experience.

I clearly have some decisions to make and would welcome views of the engine experts here as to how they would proceed - also an approximation of the scale of the job in changing liner seals (if I can get them). What would you do in my position (apart from cry!)

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and to have the Kelvin P4 that I bought about three years ago installed in my boat - the existing engine was just not reliable and therefore I thought I would cash in my insurance policy and stop worrying about it! It looks like this might not be the case.

The engine was restored by a well known and reputable restorer, has been filled with a water and anti freeze mix in my garage - until this week it has not been run.

So the old engine is removed and the replacement is running well in the yard. The engine oil is changed just before it goes in the boat and the old oil is emulsified,so must be in contact with water somewhere. There are new pistons and liners fitted and new CH gaskets.

They have refilled it with oil and water overnight and will check it again in the morning, but I can only assume that it will happen again and none of us want to go ahead if there is any chance of a problem.

I assume (although it's a guess) that either a gasket or cylinder liner is leaking. The gasket is not a big issue, but the liner seals sounds like a biggie to me and is well outside my field of experience.

I clearly have some decisions to make and would welcome views of the engine experts here as to how they would proceed - also an approximation of the scale of the job in changing liner seals (if I can get them). What would you do in my position (apart from cry!)

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

The liner seals are two rubber rings at the base of each liner. It's a head-off and piston out job to change them. Viton O rings of the right section and diameter will be fine as replacements

First though you need to determine where the water in the oil came from. If the engine has stood for 3 years, even in a garage, it could be condensation unless it was sealed up with a dessicating agent. Over 3 years too, seals harden and gaskets shrink. apart from the liner seals these should be relatively easy to tighten up/replace.

If it was recently restored then once you have found any leak it's time for a conversation with the restorer.

N