Log Books

Golden Duck

Featured Posts

Friends of mine have just purchased their first, own narrowboat (they had a 1/4 share before).

When they got involved with the first one, we bought them a readymade log book from a chandler as a "welcome to your new boat" gift and they kept a very detailed record of their cruises in it for several seasons.

Now they have the new boat, I looked around again but was not very impressed with what was on the market in terms of ready-made logs.

So I decided to produce my own. We already have a PC-produced one for Golden Duck as it enables us to custom-make the record to our own requirements.

I spent most of the afternoon making it and it has the following:

- Hard Cover Binder with loose leaf format so it never gets full

- Space for times and descriptive text

- columns for miles run, engine hours and locks worked, plus cumulative totals and carry overs to the next page.

- Customised pages with the boats name on every page.

- A presentation front cover with the boats name, a good luck inscription and a photograph

- A CD attached to the inside cover, containing a PDF file of the expansion pages so that they can print off pages to add as the log fills up.

I hope they like it. I'm tempted to update the GD's log now to take advantage of the improvements ! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

We started when the boat was delivered in 2003.

It started off just as a log of places and times, but it became more of a boat handbook over time.

We kept basic boat information like dimensions, part numbers of regularly used spares, etc

and a record of any painting or servicing carried out. Its amazing how often we refer back to it.

Because we found it so useful for reference, we maintained the discipline of updating it.

I guess if it was no use to the boater, then they wouldn't be bothered to invest time in it.

Logwise, I just keep a record on a piece of scrap during the day when cruising and then copy it up in the evening - doesn't take long.

Different strokes for different folks, suppose.

Edited by NB Willawaw