New Outboard Fuel Tank

Featured Posts

Hi

A few months ago I bought a spare 22L outboard fuel tank for longer trips. I connected it today for the 1st time and after a few mins the engine sounded rough and then cut. Tried it again and it ran fine for about 15 mins (just long enough to get into the main river) and then same thing happened. Fortunately I had a few spare litres in my usual fuel tank that came with the boat so I swapped the tanks over and everything was fine for the rest of the day. Question is the new one is plastic and I wonder if there are some bits of plastic from the manufacture that got into the fuel lines, if this is the case where can I dump the petrol in the tank so I can rinse out and check there are no other bits in there. Not that I particularly want to lose 22 litres of petrol but I don't feel confident connecting it again in case the same thing happens.

Anyone else had similar problems with new plastic fuel tanks ?

Thanks

Matt

Hi There,it could be a breather cap/pipe problem. When the engine first stopped did you open the fuel cap then replace and the engine worked fine for 15mins or so.Again did you do the same thing opened fuel cap and all was well for a short while.

No guarantees, but it could be the problem.

Hi

Yes that sounds about right - the breather cap is integrated with the filler cap and to be honest is a plastic twist affair where as the one on my usual tank is metal and a proper screw thread. Maybe I will have a play around with it in the marina before I try to dump the fuel. Thanks for the advice

Matt

Most outboard fuel systems include a microfine filter in the tank. Also most outboards have a microfine filter at the carburettor. I think the other posters are right and you have a breather problem.

Don't dump the fuel, just filter it through some fine cloth that will not be disolved by the petrol.

Regards.

Harnser.