Got boat and now need an inverter

Wobbly Dick

Featured Posts

Strictly speaking I suppose I'd need that other radio button too. My small inverter is a 300 watt sinewave (made by "Other") but for high power I've got an old Rediline which is a 12vDC motor driving a 240v alternator, 1500W average and 2500W peak. Very inefficient but almost bombproof, and at least it lives in the engine compartment and doesn't take up any valuable cabin space.

Allan

Hi Allan

I have a Rediline too, although as the new boat is a cruiser stern we cannot put it in the engine compartment as the output socket is not IP rated.

I dont suppose you have the manual for the rediline, you used to be able to download it and unfortunately I had not backed up my copies of the lit when the computer pointed its udders skyward.

Hi Allan

I have a Rediline too, although as the new boat is a cruiser stern we cannot put it in the engine compartment as the output socket is not IP rated.

I dont suppose you have the manual for the rediline, you used to be able to download it and unfortunately I had not backed up my copies of the lit when the computer pointed its udders skyward.

Ours is a cruiser stern too, the Rediline sits on the engine rails in front of the engine and I just put a weatherproof cover (ie a piece of plastic attached to the bulkhead)) over the top of the whole unit.

I don't have a workshop manual for it, just the 4-page sales leaflet and a technical data sheet showing the input/output voltages, currents, frequency, etc. If any of that is any use to you, just PM me with your email address and I'll scan it in for you.

Allan

EDIT: I've just looked on the web, and there's still a Rediline web site which has a downloadable service manual on it

Edited by Keeping Up

Thanks Allan, very kind of you to offer I will download the manual and make sure I burn to a CD/DVD or print it this time (honest).

I think my rediline is going to migrate to where yours lives.

BTW Do you have to have a voltmeter on your AC panel with a rediline as it can be said to be a built in generator, and under the BSC if you have genset or a motorcircuit you need a voltmenter.

But I dont know if this applies to a Rediline?

BTW Do you have to have a voltmeter on your AC panel with a rediline as it can be said to be a built in generator, and under the BSC if you have genset or a motorcircuit you need a voltmenter.

But I dont know if this applies to a Rediline?

No I don't have a voltmeter - I'm not aware of any BSS requirement that would require such an installation to have one. As far as I'm concerned (and after all the letters MIEE, CEng don't mean a thing now that I've taken early retirement) a metal box that takes 12v in and gives 240v ac is just an inverter, whether the innards are electronic, electromechanical, or gerbils on wheels

Allan