Epoxy Paint Supplier?

Featured Posts

Evnin all,

my lovely little 45fter is out of the water at present getting a new engine and keel cooling tank. i'd like to take the opportunity to re-black the hull. last time i did it was little under three years ago. i did this with bitumin and at present tis looks a bit shabby around the water line. i am thinking of removing all the bitumin and replacing it wth an epoxy as i have heard this is much harder wareing. can anybody suggest a good brand and supplier for a two part epoxy paint made for the job of blacking?

thanks.

Edited by snooky jo

our hull has been done in two pack for about 25yrs, very good stuff.

i use "dacrylite" two pack epoxy pich, get it straight from comp, or there are a few other peeps that stock it.

is about £80 for 5ltr, i use 4 tins on a 62ft hull.

our hull has been done in two pack for about 25yrs, very good stuff.

i use "dacrylite" two pack epoxy pich, get it straight from comp, or there are a few other peeps that stock it.

is about £80 for 5ltr, i use 4 tins on a 62ft hull.

that sounds like what im looking for. thank you. how many coat do you usually do?

Evnin all,

my lovely little 45fter is out of the water at present getting a new engine and keel cooling tank. i'd like to take the opportunity to re-black the hull. last time i did it was little under three years ago. i did this with bitumin and at present tis looks a bit shabby around the water line. i am thinking of removing all the bitumin and replacing it wth an epoxy as i have heard this is much harder wareing. can anybody suggest a good brand and supplier for a two part epoxy paint made for the job of blacking?

thanks.

If you are going to use Epoxy two-pack - - you must grit-blast the hull to remove every trace of bitumen and other paints. (simply brushing/jet washing will not suffice)

If you are going to use Epoxy two-pack - - you must grit-blast the hull to remove every trace of bitumen and other paints. (simply brushing/jet washing will not suffice)

i had planned to needle gun and grind it with a wire brush attachment. do you not think that will do?

we do a couple of coats every two years, and whats left over we do round the water line till its gone.

and we use 3 tins on 62ft, not 4 :rolleyes:

great, are they 5lter tins?

i had planned to needle gun and grind it with a wire brush attachment. do you not think that will do?

I cannot answer from first - hand experience - - but strictly from what I have heard/read/gathered from others.

I would think that needling, and then wire-brushing your hull to (clean) perfection would be an extremely time-consuming and laborious job.

And not necessarily as good as blasting (or you could also get it Sod Bicarbonate blasted - but that's even dearer)

My motto would be - - - - Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of Epoxy preparation!

Edited by Grace & Favour

I cannot answer from first - hand experience - - but strictly from what I have heard/read/gathered from others.

I would think that needling, and then wire-brushing your hull to (clean) perfection would be an extremely time-consuming and laborious job.

And not necessarily as good as blasting (or you could also get it Sod Bicarbonate blasted - but that's even dearer)

My motto would be - - - - Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of Epoxy preparation!

i have actually done the needle gun and wire brush work on a much larger dutch barge with a friend. that was a big job. i think nearly 3 weeks solid, 140ft by 15ft. my little 45fter wont take anywhere near as long as that and im confident that the finnish will be near perfect. besides i will have the time for it. but thank you for the heads up. it is duly noted.