Come to a stop on Leeds and Liverpool Canal

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

549879_422674854414330_100000154564891_1879233_761592794_n.jpg

Have come to a stop!!! Arrived at bridge 20 Leeds and Liverpool Canal 1 hour ago. Electrically operated swing Bridge put key in message appeared "Bridge not available phone British Waterways" phoned BW to be told that bridge has not worked since Sunday and they are waiting for a spare part. No mention on BW website as a stoppage as supervisor has not approved the stoppage yet (2 days) so now stuck for unknown period and have booking down The Liverpool Link at 9am tomorrow!!!!! BW think the stoppage will be for at least another day if not longer.

Question: Why does a supervisor have to approve a stoppage, if bridge is broken and can not be repaired surely it must be a Stoppage????????

Edited by cotswoldsman

Have come to a stop!!! Arrived at bridge 20 Leeds and Liverpool Canal 1 hour ago. Electrically operated swing Bridge put key in message appeared "Bridge not available phone British Waterways" phoned BW to be told that bridge has not worked since Sunday and they are waiting for a spare part. No mention on BW website as a stoppage as supervisor has not approved the stoppage yet (2 days) so now stuck for unknown period and have booking down The Liverpool Link at 9am tomorrow!!!!! BW think the stoppage will be for at least another day if not longer.

Question: Why does a supervisor have to approve a stoppage, if bridge is broken and can not be repaired surely it must be a Stoppage????????

This sort of hierarchical decision making is what cripples bloated organisations, I used to encounter it all the time in the NHS, yes I agree if the guy that wants to fix it but can't because they can't get the spare part they should be the individual authorised to declare a stoppage - that way boaters would become aware much quicker and be able to decide to moor at a place that best suits.

UPDATE

Think they might have to do something urgent now. BW guy turned up and did something that now means the barriers are stuck down so traffic has also come to a stop. It seems the main problem is that BW have recently changed contractors for the swing bridges and the new contractor does not yet hold stock of spare parts!!!!!

Stoppage issued at 10:26.

That makes me feel better!!!!! Wonder if that was the result of me asking for the supervisors name and phone number?

Edited by cotswoldsman

Stoppage issued at 10:26.

We had the same farce at Newlay Locks a couple of years ago.

The tailgate suffered a problem at 12noon on the Friday and BW didn't issue the stoppage until Monday.

that's another thing too - I don't think they routinely issue any emergency stoppage notices over the weekend...again probably (I'm guessing) it has to go up the chain to be approved by people who don't work weekends.

Here it is now

Stoppage: Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Coxhead’s Swing Bridge (no.20)

03 Apr 2012 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

Stoppage to through navigation until Further notice.

A stoppage is required to facilitate a repair, following a problem with the swing bridge reported over the weekend.

Winding available between Bridges 18 and 19 West of the stoppage and between bridges 20 and 20a East of the affected area.

(Enquiries: 01942405700)

Aren't BW ace !

Yes, they are. It seems to be very fashionable to knock them at every opportunity but the staff do try hard to get boaters on their way when such problems arise.

From now until the bridge is repaired, it will be manually opened by BW twice a day - at 9.00 am and 3.00 pm. Passage at other times will not be possible, so bear that in mind anyone heading in that direction. This is Coxhead's Bridge, br 20, between Haskayne and Lydiate.

UPDATE

An engineer did arrive at about 12am and open the bridge manually so that I could get through in order to make my booking down The Liverpool Link tomorrow morning.

Crikey! I wonder if they were on double money turning out at midnight to operate the bridge?

Hey Cotsworld man wot time are you doing the link tomorrow?

I take it your now moored in the eldonian village ?

I live in Princes Dock over looking the canal link and will wave as you pass!

No I am at Melling, will leave bridge 9 at about 9am they no longer do the overnight at Eldonian the complete journey is done in one go. seems to be 6 boats going down so should be passing you early afternoon.

Yes, they are. It seems to be very fashionable to knock them at every opportunity but the staff do try hard to get boaters on their way when such problems arise.

From now until the bridge is repaired, it will be manually opened by BW twice a day - at 9.00 am and 3.00 pm. Passage at other times will not be possible, so bear that in mind anyone heading in that direction. This is Coxhead's Bridge, br 20, between Haskayne and Lydiate.

Though it might have seemed to you I was knocking BW I was not. I was annoyed that a bridge that was broken/closed on Sunday was not listed as a closure. I would also add had it not been for my nagging the bridge would not have been opened manually.

Though it might have seemed to you I was knocking BW I was not. I was annoyed that a bridge that was broken/closed on Sunday was not listed as a closure. I would also add had it not been for my nagging the bridge would not have been opened manually.

I wasn't pointing a finger at you, John. Just commenting on a trend too often seen in this forum and on certain other web sites. Okay, some of the criticism may be justified, but not all of it.

I am not here to defend BW but I can understand why they might not want to declare a "stoppage" until one of their staff has assessed the situation. I'm sure they have dealt with occasions where a boater reports that a bridge or lock is inoperable but then found that there was a simple solution when they got there. I have heard, for example, of cases where one boater's BW key would not fit into a particular lock but then the next boater's key would. (And no, I am not suggesting that this was the case at this particular bridge.)