locks

bux

Featured Posts

My understanding is that Wire and Hungerford marsh locks are closed. Wire is scheduled to open on 30th March but could be delayed. Hungerford marsh was supposed to open yesterday but I don't think it has.

Rik

If it's any consolation you've done the hard bit.There are gate paddles on Guyers lock after Newbury then its ground paddle city until BOA (maybe some exceptions but not many)It really is an astonishingly beautiful canal, ignore all the doom-mongers and enjoy (and have a long gang plank to hand).

Edited by JDR

We are currently at Gt Bedwyn but there are now quite a few boats moving so I think Hungerford is open. BW say WIRE will open on the 30th, and I reckon that it will.

JDR is correct; this is a spectacular waterway and a long gangplank is a small price to pay.

Good beer at the John'O'Gaunt in Hungerford, Cross Keys at Bedwyn, too many to mention in Devizes and Bath, Canal Tavern in Bradford and Cross Guns in Avoncliff.

Water shortage is likely to give Restrictions and even total stoppage on the eastern end later this year, but getting stuck on the western half is a rather nice place to be.

.............Dave