Wet Room

Featured Posts

I have just discovered that the plastic shower tray in our wet room/toilet compartment has developed a crack at one end on a curved surface of the tray (in the base). To stop the crack from spreading I did intend to drill a small hole at each end of the crack as stoppers but the question then becomes could I seal the crack successfuly to prevent leaking?

The other thought is that I ought to replace the tray but with what?

Entrance is via a hinged wooden door and you step over a small wooden sill on to the tray. The room is small but wide enough to use the toilet and to shower (but not of course at the same time) the chemical toilet sits on the shower tray and just clear of the outside of the boat. I suspect that the tray has cracked because whilst the rest of the base seems to rest on something firm the edges dont appear to be supported.The walls of the compartment have been linned with flexible floor covering and the last six inches or so tiled down to the tray. The tray has a conventional drain hole which is piped to a discharge pump with a strainer.

Having given it a good coat-of-looking-at I think I should be able to get the tray out but when I get it out what should be under the tray to support it. I rather suspect that this tray is of the caravan type and could not be described as ridged and needs some form of support all round. Somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to have heard that when installing shower trays that are flexible underfoot that they should be bedded down on a base of sand, does this maker sense

Comments welcome.

DavidK

I have just discovered that the plastic shower tray in our wet room/toilet compartment has developed a crack at one end on a curved surface of the tray (in the base). To stop the crack from spreading I did intend to drill a small hole at each end of the crack as stoppers but the question then becomes could I seal the crack successfuly to prevent leaking?

The other thought is that I ought to replace the tray but with what?

Entrance is via a hinged wooden door and you step over a small wooden sill on to the tray. The room is small but wide enough to use the toilet and to shower (but not of course at the same time) the chemical toilet sits on the shower tray and just clear of the outside of the boat. I suspect that the tray has cracked because whilst the rest of the base seems to rest on something firm the edges dont appear to be supported.The walls of the compartment have been linned with flexible floor covering and the last six inches or so tiled down to the tray. The tray has a conventional drain hole which is piped to a discharge pump with a strainer.

Having given it a good coat-of-looking-at I think I should be able to get the tray out but when I get it out what should be under the tray to support it. I rather suspect that this tray is of the caravan type and could not be described as ridged and needs some form of support all round. Somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to have heard that when installing shower trays that are flexible underfoot that they should be bedded down on a base of sand, does this maker sense

Comments welcome.

DavidK

If you can get the tray out, then possibly a fibreglass repair could be applied behind the tray. Very often so called fibreglass baths are actually vacuum formed plastic with a layer of fibreglass behind to reinforce. Maybe expanding foam to reinforce when back in place? That is what I am going to do at home when I replace the bath.

I was also going to suggest using polyurethane foam, but as a complete solution. Providing you have access to inject at close spacing, you could fill the whole space below the tray with foam. This might require drilling holes in the tray for the injection tube, about 6mm? Provides support and sealing.

Then use a refinishing product to make good the surface of the shower tray, if desired. You can even get bath enamel re-coating products.

When we fittted our (thick grp right thought) shower tray in our bathroom at home it was layed on bed of silicon sealent. Which affectly stuck it to the base, which was constructed from a sheet of 1/2" ply screwed to 4 3*2" members, to give enought hight to get the trap inplace.

Daniel