Reptiles onboard?

AndrewBB

Featured Posts

We used to have a leopard gekko who was probably the easiest reptile to have on a boat as they are nocturnal and don't require constant heat, unfortunately he's had to be rehomed due to his terranium taking up half the kitchen! Luckily he's only at Smudge's neice's so we can still see him when we want to, plus it's better for him as she works late shifts so gets home just as he's getting up and about. She says he's already got boss of her cat and will chase her off the bed!! :blink:

Does anybody keep any reptiles on there boats? I don't but have 2 horsfields, 2 yorkies a patterdale and a cockatiel.

I'm mystified, Andrew. Not knowing what a "Horsfield" was, I looked on the internet. I found that it was a Russian tortoise. Are these not reptiles - or have I found the Wrong Kind Of Horsfield?

That's right Athy, there are many different species of all different sizes but the most popular ones are Horsfields, Hermans, Redfoots, Ibera and spur thighed. I don't know a lot about which care the other species require etc bu I know a bit about Horsfields and Hermans, I was wanting a breeding pair and Hermans require Defra A10 article paperwork which I'm sure many of you will have heard of Defra. However I didn't want to mess about with paperwork all the time from breeding so I got the Horsfields which don't require none at all.

Overall you cannot make money breeding tortoises unless you did it on a very large scale. The tables they are kept in range from £50-200, heating bulb with UVB around £40-60 then you have the substrate, supplements ie nutrobal which is around £15 for a 250g tub and the lights are on at mine from 8am til 8pm. You then have to incubate eggs and the female tortoise can hold for upto 5 years. A very interesting and fascinating pet.