New Gearbox Needed?

Featured Posts

Bit more info needed. Present type of gearbox, engine type, reason for needing replaced etc. Some boxes can be repaired economically. Sometimes it is an opportunity to upgrade to a better option.

But it's hard to spend less than £500 on any type of new box, so in broad terms, yes, you would have a bill of that size probably no matter what. In fact if you are paying to have the box removed and refitted, repair would probably not be the sensible route. But; more facts please.

Hi,

Looking at a boat, but it needs a new gearbox. Been quoted £1000 + to supply and fit.

Is this a reasonable price?

Why not have a service exchange box fitted, even the biggest type shouldn't much more than £500, Smaller ones are only about £350) you will need a new drive plate (silly not to replace it whilst the box is off) at about £120. The job shouldn't take a competant fitter more than four hours (say £120 to £150) Still alot less than £1000

One of the many things I like about my Lister SR3/LH150 setup is that it's all user-repairable. But I am more mobile than Wobbly Dick; even on one of his good days it sounds as though he's not best placed to spend much time dangling upside-down in the engine 'ole. He's going to have to pay someone to do the job, and I bet money's a bit tight. If it isn't now it will be when he's bought his boat!