12V TV/ Water Gauge

Mrs Frost

Featured Posts

Sorry if this has been discussed before but got to page 6 and not seen the topic.

Can someone tell us what we need in order to have a TV on our boat, I have looked at 12v TV on line and if it has free view do we need an aerial if so what kind.

Also out water Gauge is broke and we are looking for a new one- again can anyone recommend where we can get one

many thanks

Firstly a TV licence. If you have one for your house then that will do provided both are not in use at once. Then a good TV aerial outside the boat. We use a caravan one when out cruising. A mast to get it up as high as possible and a cable to connect to the Tv. We have a Meos flat screen TV. It is 12v operation either directly to a 12 v cigarette type socket or through the mains adapter. It has an in built DVD player and freeview. However this is our second one. The first one failed just out of warranty.

Another option is a satellite dish. Maplin do a camping one that is also 12v or mains. Gives you free satellite channels which differ slightly from the freeview channels. A little more trouble to set up.

When moored at our marina we have an aerial on a poke clamped to the mooring post. Doesn't rock like the boat so a constant signal strength.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but got to page 6 and not seen the topic.

Can someone tell us what we need in order to have a TV on our boat, I have looked at 12v TV on line and if it has free view do we need an aerial if so what kind.

Also out water Gauge is broke and we are looking for a new one- again can anyone recommend where we can get one

many thanks

Where to start??

A TV obviously (Mains or 12V). Our TV has freeview and we have an aerial from here -

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html

This is the one we have -

wp795eebc3.jpg

It's their Log 40 and nine times out of ten we get a picture. It's a bit cumbersome but that is the price you pay for trying to get a decent signal.

We also now have a Sat dish bought from eBay for £15 and a cheap freesat receiver from Argos - This one for if we can't get a signal with the aerial. Of course neither guarantee you will always be able to get a picture in which we will find something else to do.

Have a read on the TV site I linked to there is a load of info. about using TV on the move on there.

Can't help with your water gauge but my limited knowledge would say you need to establish if it's the tank sender or the gauge itself that has gone belly up - more likely the tank sender - but as stated I'm no expert.

Firstly a TV licence. If you have one for your house then that will do provided both are not in use at once.

<snip>

Actually for a boat that is not true, the not both at once is only for static caravans etc, ie stuff the does not move. From TV licence site.

You don't need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home's TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they're already covered by your main home's TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home's TV Licence will cover you provided you don't watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a declaration form.