More beginner questions

Matt72

Featured Posts

Hi Sorry some more questions I think there will be a lot more to come :)

Buying a cruiser for use on both canals and rivers I know it needs to be 6'10" beam ? but are some cruisers higher than others - will they all get under the canal bridges?

quite a few of the cruisers I am seeing advertised do not have showers - is it possible to get one fitted if the boat does not come with one and roughly how much might this cost?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Sorry some more questions I think there will be a lot more to come :)

Buying a cruiser for use on both canals and rivers I know it needs to be 6'10" beam ? but are some cruisers higher than others - will they all get under the canal bridges?

quite a few of the cruisers I am seeing advertised do not have showers - is it possible to get one fitted if the boat does not come with one and roughly how much might this cost?

Thanks

Matt

Generally a cruiser that is narrow enough to be on the canals will have a low enough air draft to be able to get under the bridges (some tunnels might be an issue).

206198_1.jpg

You may have to lower the screen for some bridges/tunnels and if fitted the cockpit cover/canopy too.

I guess it's possible to retrofit a shower but it will need the installation of a tray/compartment, and a shower tray pump as well as the pipework for the head. Can't think that will come overly cheap.

I fitted a shower to my cruiser by making the toilet compartment in to a wet room. Its not big enough to swing a cat in and has some compromises compared to home, but it works. The feasibility for you will depend on the boat layout I suppose.

Key steps on my installation:

Replace chipboard bulkhead with marine ply.

Make shower tray and install. I made it because standard sized ones would not fit in the space. Constructed from plywood then fibleglassed over and finished with flowcoat.

Connect whale gulper pump to the tray outlet. To save height there is no separate sump beneath the shower tray - the water collects in the tray and is pumped out by manually operating the pump.

Line the room with upvc tongue and groove.

Fit instantaneous gas fired water heater (not inside the shower room) and connect to the shower head and and galley basin. NB the water temperature is set on the water heater so I have to remember the temperature setting.

All in all quite a bit of work but my time is free.

I agree with MJG about the height. I have to lower the canopy for some bridges. I can just move a centre support so the max height is then the screen. That can be done in seconds so its no big deal. There is one bridge in the Fradley lock flight that I've had to lower the screen on though, so it was canopy completely lowered and then lower the screen.