Cabin Door, ventilation and vision ports.

Davidss

Featured Posts

With thanks to koukouvagia for leading me to this link to Blisworth Images (Scroll to image 22-08)

I see some features in the cabin door that I haven't seen referenced before, in other threads about boat decoration.

I see a square peep hole, covered with a sliding panel.

This is part of a larger panel that is probably hinged (there is only one catch). I wonder if these were for ventilation, or a view out, while the boat was otherwise closed up.

Obviously, both view and ventilation occur at the same time, you can't have one without the other, but I wonder what was the main justification for going to the trouble of that construction.

I have little knowledge of working boats from the days they were working, so all I'm going on are historical pictures published in books and this forum.

Any Comments please?

Edited by Davidss

With thanks to koukouvagia for leading me to this link to Blisworth Images (Scroll to image 22-08)

I see some features in the cabin door that I haven't seen referenced before, in other threads about boat decoration.

I see a square peep hole, covered with a sliding panel.

This is part of a larger panel that is probably hinged (there is only one catch). I wonder if these were for ventilation, or a view out, while the boat was otherwise closed up.

Obviously, both view and ventilation occur at the same time, you can't have one without the other, but I wonder what was the main justification for going to the trouble of that construction.

I have little knowledge of working boats from the days they were working, so all I'm going on are historical pictures published in books and this forum.

Any Comments please?

Thats the door into the hold. When loaded it was rare to be able to open the door, but the hole allows through ventilation on hot nights (the slide often being left a jar as well).

Mike

That's the door into the hold. When loaded it was rare to be able to open the door, but the hole allows through ventilation on hot nights (the slide often being left ajar as well).

Mike

Ahh, OK. I'd forgotten about the door into the hold. Was it normal for those to be decorated?

Hmm, there I go again, my initial thought was that a door from an engine room would be practical rather than pretty, but second thoughts are that a door into the hold on a Horse drawn boat would be in the living quarters, so there would be a spur to making it smart.

In practice, were they decorated differently?

Edited by Davidss