Short term moorings in London

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

Can anyone give me info about short term moorings in Paddington or Limehouse I need about 3-4 weeks in July. Looking at the Waterscape site they post a number 01923 201120 but No one answers it.

Bob B

Ooops Wrong No

Edited by Bob Blues

Can anyone give me info about short term moorings in Paddington or Limehouse I need about 3-4 weeks in July. Looking at the Waterscape site they post a number 01923 201120 but No one answers it.

Bob B

Ooops Wrong No

The BW mooring at Limehouse is 24hrs only. If you want more than that you need to speak to Limehouse Marina and pay for a berth if there is one available.

Paddington Basin (the arm from Little Venice Pool) is supposed to be 7 days only anywhere but people tend to do 7 days in the security patrolled bit by St. Mary's hospital and then 7 days up the top by the Westway if you can find a space (also very noisy). Little Venice which is almost next to Paddington Basin is 14 days. Camden visitor moorings are only 7 days and same for Islington at this time of year (both very busy and limited space). Victoria Park is always rammed out so don't bank on finding a space here either due to demand.

To summarise, if you need more than 14 days you are going to need to move your boat or find someone to do it for you.

If you are an AWCC member and your boat is not too big and they have space you may be able to arrange temporary moorings with St. Pancras Cruising Club. The next nearest AWCC Cub is West London Motor Cruising Club at Alperton or further out in Uxbrige at Hillingdon Canal Cruising Club.

HTH

D

Edited by debbifiggy

The BW mooring at Limehouse is 24hrs only. If you want more than that you need to speak to Limehouse Marina and pay for a berth if there is one available.

Paddington Basin (the arm from Little Venice Pool) is supposed to be 7 days only anywhere but people tend to do 7 days in the security patrolled bit by St. Mary's hospital and then 7 days up the top by the Westway if you can find a space (also very noisy). Little Venice which is almost next to Paddington Basin is 14 days. Camden visitor moorings are only 7 days and same for Islington at this time of year (both very busy and limited space). Victoria Park is always rammed out so don't bank on finding a space here either due to demand.

To summarise, if you need more than 14 days you are going to need to move your boat or find someone to do it for you.

If you are an AWCC member and your boat is not too big and they have space you may be able to arrange temporary moorings with St. Pancras Cruising Club. The next nearest AWCC Cub is West London Motor Cruising Club at Alperton or further out in Uxbrige at Hillingdon Canal Cruising Club.

HTH

D

Thanks I'll Start the Phone calls

Edited by Bob Blues

The BW mooring at Limehouse is 24hrs only.

Sorry Debbi, but that's not entirely true. There is a length of 7 day space at the end of the mooring wall at Limehouse.

Paddington Basin (the arm from Little Venice Pool) is supposed to be 7 days only anywhere but people tend to do 7 days in the security patrolled bit by St. Mary's hospital and then 7 days up the top by the Westway if you can find a space (also very noisy).

p.s. Oh my gosh, how cheeky is that!? I have often wondered about the patch of green near the Westway and whether it fell under the jurisdiction of the estate as well. Guess not!

Victoria Park is always rammed out so don't bank on finding a space here either due to demand.

Debbi, (or any regular London moorer!),

Agree entirely about VP on the Regents itself - always completely full and double berthed when we have got there.

But what I can't work out, though, is why there is almost never any overspill around on to Ducketts ?

People have told me residents of the properties opposite don't like it, but there are no displayed mooring restrictions there, so in theory it's a legal "14 days".

We have over-nighted there with no problems, but been on our own, whilst people are crawling over each other's boats just around the corner

Any idea why people generally seem to choose not to moor on the first bit of Ducketts, please ?

Debbi, (or any regular London moorer!),

Agree entirely about VP on the Regents itself - always completely full and double berthed when we have got there.

But what I can't work out, though, is why there is almost never any overspill around on to Ducketts ?

People have told me residents of the properties opposite don't like it, but there are no displayed mooring restrictions there, so in theory it's a legal "14 days".

We have over-nighted there with no problems, but been on our own, whilst people are crawling over each other's boats just around the corner

Any idea why people generally seem to choose not to moor on the first bit of Ducketts, please ?

You know, I have no idea. There may have been a recent history of problems from local youths (I don't know of any and am just speculating) but I've never felt tempted to stop there myself. Maybe you can blaze the trail and open that area up for regular mooring?

Maybe you can blaze the trail and open that area up for regular mooring?

Well, we can only try!

Certainly no issues when we did stop there, and I'd not hesitate to do so again, unless someone came up with a reason why not.

Did I spot you trying my local moorings a week or so back ?

I 'try' your local moorings annually assuming you mean Berkhamsted?

Yes, indeed - Berkhamsted.

Some of the boats there have been "trying" them continually for at least 9 months now, so clearly there must be something about them to like. :)

Yes, indeed - Berkhamsted.

Some of the boats there have been "trying" them continually for at least 9 months now, so clearly there must be something about them to like. :)

Really? Wow. I wonder why that's allowed to happen yet London is brutually policed. It always seems much more congested to me out that way than it does in Central London. It is nice though and if it wasn't for the £100.50 weekly travel costs, I would happily dig in for 9 months too.

Really? Wow. I wonder why that's allowed to happen yet London is brutually policed. It always seems much more congested to me out that way than it does in Central London. It is nice though and if it wasn't for the £100.50 weekly travel costs, I would happily dig in for 9 months too.

:smiley_offtopic:

I don't know either - I can't tell you.

I know BW checkers regularly walk the length, because I do a lot of my dog walking there, and see them quite regularly - weekly, sometimes I'd estimate. Unlike boaters on the stretch, they don't tend to be willing conversationalists!

I guess it's possible that a whole series of boat owners have some special circumstances that they have discussed with BW, because certainly BW show no enthusiasm for tackling any of the long term moorers there.

I don't have any particular axe to grind over it, as usually you can find a suitable slot somewhere in the town with not too much bother, but clearly the congestion you talk of would be less if much of the stretch was not always occupied by the same boats. I can't see the situation is much different in (say) Apsley - a similar situation exists there, although finding a spot is often harder than Berko, (perhaps because rail fares to London will be less!.....)

The bit I don't understand is why do BW spnd so much time checking and recording - it seems life would be much the same if they did not, and they could save a few salaries in the bargain!

Sorry Debbi, but that's not entirely true. There is a length of 7 day space at the end of the mooring wall at Limehouse.

Historically yes but last I looked that sign was gone - I think it went at the same time as the signs saying no mooring appeared on the north wall.

Historically yes but last I looked that sign was gone - I think it went at the same time as the signs saying no mooring appeared on the north wall.

If that's true then I stand corrected. I haven't seen the no mooring signs on the north wall either. I confess that I did send someone to the Elsan barge in the far corner of the marina recently when they phoned and asked where to empty their loo at Limehouse so I do have history when it comes to not being up to speed on the changes in the basin :-)

I rang BW's Paddington office to be told that you can stay for 14 days at litle Venice with out booking. They went on to say there is ample space so I'll do that.

Bob B

Edited by Bob Blues