Mobile Antenna for Internet access

Featured Posts

I upgraded to the faster dongle from Three (£15 for 15gb as a contract renewal). I can confirm that it works better out of the box than the standard one does with a highly directional antenna. Getting much lower ping times, slightly faster up & down loads but much more reliable. Took it to a city on a trip last weekend & got over 10mb down load speed. Just wish I got that where we use it instead of the just over 1mb lol.

Those of you who use a USB extension for the dongle, have you had issues with which cable to use? Looking at reviews of such cables online it seems that quited a few have found the cable works but not for dongles or external drives where data transfer speed is an issue.

BTW Having read all about getting online in a boat and getting ready for my "launch" in September I went to the numerous moblie phone shops to get some face to face advice. What a waste of time. One salesman couldn't even see why the location of the dongle in a steel boat would affect connection, and none of them gave me more info than just price and download limits, which I could get online.

So this is a big thank you for the forum from me.B)

Personally I would say just make certain it is a USB 2.0 one, say like this, particularly if you are going to go for 3 meters. That one works for me.

Edited by john6767

We bought this lead on E-bay in May, I'm using it now as we're in a bad signal area, the dongle is currently laying on the roof. We're stuck on dry land at the moment and our dongle only gets a signal through the porthole window on a nice clear day and even then it sometimes cut off. Since using this lead is we've managed to stay on line continuously, but on overcast days you sometimes get cut off, but will then reconnect. At least now I can sit comfortably and use the lap top whereas before had to sit at a desk directly beneath the porthole.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREE-3-SIGNAL-BOOSTER-DONGLE-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-3M-/120625236421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c15d309c5#ht_500wt_922

Big thanks to you all from me too! I was wondering how you all got on the internet off your boats. I do miss being on the internet when on my boat especially at night when theres nothing on tv.......

Off to buy O3 dongle with extension cable and will ensure I have an empty milk bottle and stick lol !!

Big thanks to you all from me too! I was wondering how you all got on the internet off your boats. I do miss being on the internet when on my boat especially at night when theres nothing on tv.......

Off to buy O3 dongle with extension cable and will ensure I have an empty milk bottle and stick lol !!

Three, not O2 (there is no O3)