Wigan Locks

Featured Posts

I went for a walk up the Wigan Locks today. The towpath is perfect for cycling, nicely paved until it turns to mud nearer the top of the flight. there are lots of gates etc to stop motorbikes, something I thought was excessive until I saw 2 or 3 scrambler bikes crossing the canal to go up the slag heaps.

A nice stretch of canal to walk on, as usual with canals you cant see the industry and housing as you walk, you could be a million miles away from the council estates and factories. Looking downhill towards Wigan there are some great views of the town.

Wigan Pier to the Top Lock is 2 and a half miles.

I would recommend walking or cycling from the Top Lock down to Appley bridge, only 7 miles, but passing through different scenery. Wigan is a good place to start or end a walk/ride. The stations are close to Wigan Pier and the railway follows the canal all the way to Burscough int he Liverpool direction.

The short stretch of canal east of Monk Hall bridge (the aborted section of the Lancaster canal) would make a great site for a marina.

Photos of Today

the lock where they are building the new road bridge at wigan does not seem to be in the pics red,i have forgot myself to take a pic of it before it is all built.

i want to get pics of all the wigan peir area before it is all redeveloped so we are going to go for a day,when we passed last week the footy match had just let out and i was weary about leaving the boat.

the lock is on there but the bridge isnt, the towpath is shut off so its not easy to get a photo without walking on water. There was a swan stuck in Lock 86, so i let it out! hope its not stuck under the bridge now...

I didnt walk up to the Pier, I was parked by the bridge that is being built. last time i was at the pier the towpath under the potteries bridge (by the junction) was closed. they have moved on a bit since then and have diversion signs up.