Talk Talk

Mrs Humdinger

Featured Posts

Just to be different. I have a Talk Talk contract at home started about 30 months ago. Very attractive young lady called one night, I at the time was using BT. I invited her in, very very attractive, but the wife was at home. I listened to the sales pitch, well I looked at her, very very very attractive and a low cut blouse. I then came out of the trance and realised what she had just said, line rental, all landline phone calls any time, free broadband, and free international calls to 36 countries for £24 a month. Go on your havin a laugh, no she wasn't, that was the deal, I signed up and I couldn't fault them, it all works just like she said it would, the broadband is fast and improving all the time, even the free international calls works. Then eighteen months later I received a call from Talk Talk, my contract was just about to finish, would I like to renew, same terms. Yes I replied, great we'll send you a free wireless router as a thank you, I told her I already had one, oh in that case we'll give you two months free. OK I pay extra to call mobiles but you do on all the others and you can have a family calling circle which includes mobiles at a low rate, I also get a free answer phone and now they send the bill via the internet which is a £1 less.

I have absolutely nothing to do with Talk Talk other than a very satisfied user, would I recommend them, yes I would.

I hope you get the young lady, if you're a bloke, but I can tell you they do carry proper identification and they do have paperwork and a cooling off period, just in case you get the young lady! :blush:

Ken

We have ANB Promotions who provide the [ahem] knockers in the building I work in. They seem to have a staff intake every other week and weed out the rubbish ones; its interesting that the ugly one's always seem to get weeded; maybe it's a self confidence thing...

Not a boating related post, but thought I would share yesterday's events.

I had just got home from work when there was a knock on the door. When I opened it, there was a young lad standing on the step who stated he was from Talk Talk. He asked me if I had broadband, and when I said yes, he went on to say that my local exchange had just been unbundled which meant that I could now get "FREE" broadband. He then waved an ID card at me, which was hung round his neck in one of those plastic holders, but tucked under his jacket, so the only thing I could make out was the Talk Talk logo before he tucked it away again.

He then went on to say that he just needed to come in and check my line. Now, I will confess that I am a bit of a geek. We are just out of contract with our current broadband provider, so I have checked what it available. Our exchange is only small, so all the exciting offers that are advertised on the TV we can't have. However, I know exactly what line speed I can get, and have compared all the packages I can have. At the moment, I am pretty sure I am getting the best deal for my money, and I know my line is working fine. I explain this to young lad, who then presses me for my current provider. I tell him that is none of his business. He then makes a big show of writing down my address in his scruffy notepad, and asks for my name. Again, I decline to tell him. At this point, he gives up and leaves.

I can't believe he honestly thought I was going to let him in, although I am sure some people do. His ID card wasn't visible, and all he was carrying was a scruffy notepad. I would have expected to see some Talk Talk literature at least. I know they do use door to door canvassers, but to actually push to come in and "check the line" is, I think, going way too far. The offer of "FREE" broadband is totally false, and I can never understand why renting a phone line from someone who in turn rents it from BT can be cheaper than actually renting it from BT yourself. It may be to start with, but will no doubt be made up by a charge on something else in the future. Not only that, but you'll get passed from pillar to post when something goes wrong.

I am not going to waste any time getting in touch with Talk Talk, as I know that once my details are in their system, they will be calling and sending stuff for ever more. I did look at their website, and noted that if you use the availability/speed checker, then someone will call you to "discuss your broadband requirements". It's a sad state of affairs when you can't just look at something on the internet without having to put up with someone ringing you up about it.

When the Talk Talk man knocks on your door, close it firmly in his face.

I used to be with Tiscali until Talk Talk took them over.... I have had weeks of failed email in the last 2 months because they are "giving you a better experience" by improving the webmail front page. My better experience is reliable email service. They have already removed my usenet service forcing me to go down the google groups route. Occasionally my phone will go dead... or my internet service will cease and I use a neighbours internet service to send them a complaint email. They have no idea of customer service and regrettably I agreed to further extend my contract with them for 18 months (before I realised the service was going downhill). Watch out Talk Talk... in 16 months your for the chop!

We have a simple sticker on our door

'No door to door sales or canvassers'

Very occasionally we get the odd sales bod chancing their arm...

I just point to the sticker (through the closed door and glass) and say - 'which part of that do you not understand...'

Off they pop...

My comment to them all is "I never buy at the door"

They are all at it.

I had an agent/employee from Scottish Energy passing himself off as from Scottish & Southern to gain entry to "check me meter". My complaints to the energy watchdog and both companies resulted in absolutely nothing but fine words and a piece of paper - mainly they all just wanted to use the phone, I suppose so there is no record.

Personally I am heartily sick of the way totally inadequate regulation and sanction allows these leeches to exploit consumers.

Now even the government is pushing consumers to use internet comparison sites rather than really sort out the regulators and suppliers.

In my world the exploitation of direct debits would be stopped by draconian penalties plus making it illegal to offer preferential rates for direct debits. Advertised claims for things like BBand speed and would be contractually enforceable via the regulator with no "get out" by small print and weasel words. Transco and its ilk would have its directors in court for treason because it is their lack of investment that has left this country with inadequate gas storage and a looming lack of generating capacity.

In fact the way successive governments have sided with big business and sacrificed the consumer over the years I fear riots are the least of our worries.

Sorry about the rant, but this sort of abuse really winds me up and we are all helpless.

I agree Tony... I too had a guy from Scottish and Southern trying to get me to move gas and leccy... I told him that I dont buy anything from the door.

..and as you say about direct debits, they are not convenient for us..but for the companies who get them set up. They know what their cash flow is going to be. I am sticking with standing orders issued on a pay by me basis for as long as I can... but have failed with Tiscali..now Talk Talk.

Charging extra for other payment methods wants to be made illegal.

...and rannting as we do... take pay as you go 3G ...it isnt pay as you go is it as we understand it, because if you don't use your monthly allowance it gets lost in the ether. Pay as you go mobile phones aren't like that. If you put a tenner on them it stays there..month after month until you use it all! What is OFFCOM doing about this. Absolutely fxck all thats what.

My rant over.... for now.

It must be my week for it!! Just had a phone call from an Indian gentleman trying not to sound Indian. When we first moved in the amount of sales calls we were getting was phenomenal - 4 or 5 in a night. We registered with the TPS and that has seen most of them off, but not the indian ones. Normally I just don't answer it, but sometimes I forget - like today. Conversation went as follows:

Indian Guy (IG): Hello, can I speak to Gary Bullock?

Me (sighs): Sorry, the Bullocks don't live here any more.

IG: Ah, are you Mrs Bullock?

Me: No, I just told you, the Bullocks don't live here any more.

IG: Ah, can I take your name?

Me: Why do you need my name. You are ringing me, you must know who I am already? what do you want?

IG: I need your name so I know how to address you.

Me: You don't need to address me as anything, and I don't need to give you any of my details. What do you want?

IG: I'll address you as Mrs Bullock then.

Me: I told you 3 times already, the Bullocks don't live here any more. what do you want?

IG: Well, Mrs Bullock, I am calling you today...

At this point I hung up.

The TPS service applies to sales calls only... this week an indian guy asked me if I had time for a survey which would take 1 minute of my time. I asked him if he could just hold on a minute.... and then promptly left the phone on hook while I did something useful. The only way we can get back at these axsholes is to waste their time... because for them time is money. Ive tried getting angry with them and threatening them but when I check with the TPS apparently if they claim its for research thats allowed.

Needless to say when I went back to the phone 10 mins later he had gone!

I've been with Tiscali for years.They have been taken over by Talk Talk and a letter from them yesterday tells me that from Jan 1st my monthly payment will rise from £14.99 to £19.99 which is more than just the increase on VAT. Sharp practice methinks....

Get in touch with them,

We were also with Tiscali broadband for £14.99 and have now just updated to Talk Talk Broadband and phone for £19.99. Free eve and weekend calls to mobile and landlines and free calls to landlines in the London and surrounding area.

So far not had any problems with them at all.

Never had any loss of service during the change over from BT, everything very seamless.