Archiving PMs

Ange

Featured Posts

I was quite pleased to see that there is now a facility for archiving PMs to your e-mail address. I tried using it for the first time yesterday. What it did was send a link to the PM (or personal conversation as it's now called) to my e-mail account. Which meant that if I deleted the PM the link fell over. Which means I can't use my e-mail account to archive my PMs - just to store a link to them!

Is this right? If so does anyone know of a way I can copy my PMs to another medium, apart from copying and pasting them into Word or something like that?

I was quite pleased to see that there is now a facility for archiving PMs to your e-mail address. I tried using it for the first time yesterday. What it did was send a link to the PM (or personal conversation as it's now called) to my e-mail account. Which meant that if I deleted the PM the link fell over. Which means I can't use my e-mail account to archive my PMs - just to store a link to them!

Is this right? If so does anyone know of a way I can copy my PMs to another medium, apart from copying and pasting them into Word or something like that?

Dick head edit...

soz Ange didn't read your post properly.

Copy n paste is the only way I know how to do what you are asking

Edited by MJG

Dick head edit...

soz Ange didn't read your post properly.

Copy n paste is the only way I know how to do what you are asking

No worries Martin - you'd edited it by the time I read it so I've no idea what you posted

:)

If I archive a PM to my e-mail account it seems to do what it says on the can.....

I get an email, with an attachment in HTMLK format that is a copy of the PM.

So I could delete the original PM at that stage, and still have the e-mailed attachment.

Or are we talking about different things ?

If I archive a PM to my e-mail account it seems to do what it says on the can.....

I get an email, with an attachment in HTMLK format that is a copy of the PM.

So I could delete the original PM at that stage, and still have the e-mailed attachment.

Or are we talking about different things ?

I think we're talking the same thing. I got the attachment then deleted that PM in CWDF. When I subsequently tried clicking the attachment I got a board error telling me that the conversation I wanted no longer existed.

I think we're talking the same thing. I got the attachment then deleted that PM in CWDF. When I subsequently tried clicking the attachment I got a board error telling me that the conversation I wanted no longer existed.

I don't know then, other than that's not what I'm seeing.

All I get is a flat HTML file as an attachment, which can be read in any browser (without a connection to the internet).

Clicking it just opens it in Firefox on my set-up, but does not attempt to connect to CWDF in any way, (which is what I'd expect).

Fairly sure that's what's meant to happen, as it would be fairly pointless otherwise.

Message to Dan, I guess, to see if he can work out what's happening in your case.

:blush:

I am, officially, a complete numpty!

The penny dropped just now when I was having a ciggie on the front deck. I've rechecked the e-mail and realised that I'd seen the link to the conversation on the forum in the body of the e-mail and missed the attachment!

Apologies for numpty time wasting!

:blush:

I am, officially, a complete numpty!

The penny dropped just now when I was having a ciggie on the front deck. I've rechecked the e-mail and realised that I'd seen the link to the conversation on the forum in the body of the e-mail and missed the attachment!

Apologies for numpty time wasting!

Well it does imply in the profile information to the side of your post that there may be a bit of Essex Girl in you !

(I can't believe I just said that, and suspect I'll live to regret it!.... - If I live, of course!.......)

Well it does imply in the profile information to the side of your post that there may be a bit of Essex Girl in you !

(I can't believe I just said that, and suspect I'll live to regret it!.... - If I live, of course!.......)

:lol:

Very good Mr Fincher - coming to any banters in the near future?

:cheers:

Only carefully selected ones without anyone present I am likely to have upset....

On second thoughts, that clearly rules them ALL out, doesn't it! :lol:

I fear you may be right :lol:

(white stilettos are packed and ready - they make great weapons!)

Fair enough, but I think you'll find mine come in a larger, and hence potentially more dangerous size.

I'm not pretending I'm not scared now, though.

Noooo - the image of Alan Fincher wearing white stilettos is seared into my brain now :o

I'll have nightmares tonight!!

Only carefully selected ones without anyone present I am likely to have upset....

On second thoughts, that clearly rules them ALL out, doesn't it! :lol:

I thought that was one of the points of bantering - so those of us who might have upset folk in the past can meet in the flesh and prove we might not really always be the as obnoxious or combative we might come across in here as.......

Politeness edit...

Edited by MJG