Boat is sunk in Arson attack

Josher

Featured Posts

Boat is sunk in arson attack

Snapshot2010-08-0111-30-26.jpg

The remains of a boat sunk by Arsonists on the canal next to the Dover Lock pub, Abram

Published on Sun Aug 01 11:03:26 BST 2010 Wigan Today

A BOAT which was moored at a Wigan lock was set alight resulting in its submersion.

Police are investigating the boat blaze which happened at around 1am on Friday morning at Dover Lock, Abram.

The GRP Canal Cruiser, which is made out of reinforced fibreglass, is said to have been left at that part of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal for around two weeks - the owner of the vessel has not been seen since.

It is unknown how the fire started, but it completely destroyed the boat, leaving gas bottles and debris spread across the canal and oil on the surface of the water.

Will Chapman had moored at Dover Lock overnight, fortunately he was awake and able to get of his barge in time.

The 72-year-old said: “I was still up reading in bed and then I heard some crackling and popping.

“I thought it might have been another barge but I looked out of the window and saw this big fire. So I got off my boat and called the fire brigade.

“I moved away from the fire further down the canal, it was a good job I was awake though as the boat had been drifting closer while it was on fire.”

According to Mr Chapman, voices could be heard at the time of the fire but he did not see anybody before the blaze.

He added: “I did hear some people nearby afterwards.

“I was told by the other boat owners that somebody bought this boat a couple of weeks ago but he hasn’t been seen since. And I would have expected the boat to have been moved by now because it will be dangerous for passing boats.”

Two pumps from Hindley and one from Leigh fire service arrived to extinguish the fire. There was nobody on board at the time and nobody on boats nearby was hurt.

A spokesman for British Waterways said: “We responded promptly to the incident and ensured the boat did not cause any blockage to the canal or danger to passing boats.

“While the number of incidents involving fire is few, they are clearly very dangerous and fortunately no one was injured in the incident.

“Clearly it is very difficult to police this kind of behaviour, so we appeal to people’s common sense to enjoy the waterways in a safe and responsible manner.

“We’ll be retrieving the boat as soon as we can.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “We received a call from the fire service at around 2am that a boat at Dover Lock had sunk.

“The issue has been referred to the neighbourhood officer and inquiries are under way.”

Edited by Josher

“Clearly it is very difficult to police this kind of behaviour, so we appeal to people’s common sense to enjoy the waterways in a safe and responsible manner.

Whats that meant to mean?

Everyone has to look out for themselves?

How the flip do police think they are going to appeal to the common sense of arsonists and vandals?

Does that mean we can opperate a shoot to kill policy in the absence of effective policing?

If it is unknown how the fire started, why does Wigan Today say it was an arson attack?

Perhaps Will will be along later to tell us for himself, but I would be surprised if he called his vessel a "barge"! Why do reporters change people's words?

Oh, and a Wigan reporter should have known that there has been no lock at Dover Lock for many years!

If it is unknown how the fire started, why does Wigan Today say it was an arson attack?

Perhaps Will will be along later to tell us for himself, but I would be surprised if he called his vessel a "barge"! Why do reporters change people's words?

Oh, and a Wigan reporter should have known that there has been no lock at Dover Lock for many years!

I'd have been on earlier but struggling to get a decent mobile internet connection.

Martin is right, I never said barge and the correct location was Dover Lock Inn bridge. We (there were several other boats moored there and three of us were on board), surmised that it was arson because the boat was moored amongst us just before midnight. When I saw it burning - around 1230 I think - it was on the other side of the canal nearly opposite me. That suggests its mooring ropes had been released because there was no sign of them or burning at the spot where it was moored.

As I was calling 999 the boat started moving closer to me so I quickly untied and reversed away - that proved to be a good move because by the time the fire brigade arrived the boat had floated to the very spot I had vacated. The Fire Brigade pushed it back to the opposite side again.

It is interesting to read about the 'police investigation' - elsewhere I was critical of the lack of investigation. The only questions asked were by the Firemen that we made a point of approaching and offering information. Whilst the firemen were there, several of us heard an hysterical female 'expressing concern' followed by someone saying words to the effect 'we'd better go, the police will be here soon'.

Other moorers told me me later that the boat had been purchased just two weeks before and it had been there unattended for most of that time.

This was my second close encounter with a burning boat and I hope it is the last......not a pleasant experience. Thank heavens I was reading late - chances are that boat would have been alongside if I hadn't spotted when I did.

Cheers

Will