Fitting out the 'Back End'

Amicus

Featured Posts

Ladies and Gennellmen; your mission for the coming season, should you choose to accept it, is to provide me with photos of your boat. ;)

In four years time I plan to retire to the inland waterway, full time live-aboard, for which I will fit-out a shell. I have much experience as a boat-builder but absolutely none of narrow-boats, after lurking here and elsewhere on the webby thing I have gained much very useful insight as to the difference between narrow-boats and the salty type.

There is one field, however, where it is very difficult to glean info, and that is the ‘General Arrangement’ at the business ends of the boat, There are lots of photos of galleys/kitchens the saloons, wine racks and the shelf in the shower etc. I have a stack of magazines and they all show the pretty stuff but none of the important stuff, important to the builder that is, (except they all show a picture of the engine.) ;)

So, can me learned friends help me? If you have a narrow-boat with the ‘trad stern’ I would like a picture of what happens at the after end of the cabin, I think I’m up to speed as to what happens in the engine hole but what happens immediately forw’d of the engine? There are batteries and calorfier, all sorts of gubbins here, how does it all hang together, furniture wise? There is something for the helmsman to stand on, what happens under and to the sides there? I don’t doubt I could come up with a solution during the build but why reinvent the wheel. And it seems prudent to have a General Arrangement pretty well strapped down early in the process.

To save on Jons bandwidth please PM me for an email address so you can email pictures direct to me rather than via Forum.

Hope you can help and many thanks for reading this post/plea.