valley cruisers

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Hi

We are off on the 4th September with Valley Cruisers, based near Nuneaton, this is the first time we have hired from them and we are really looking forward to it as their boats look fantastic.

I was wondering if anyone here has used them before, they seem very strict about pick up time, which is fair enough, but how are they on the hand over? Do they take into account previous experience (25 years plus) or do they insist on the full works for every boat? Again not a problem just that forewarned is etc etc

Also how far did you get on the first night, any decent pubs about and where did you moor on the last night, again any decent pubs??

Any help/advice gratefully received. :lol:

Julie

Hi

We are off on the 4th September with Valley Cruisers, based near Nuneaton, this is the first time we have hired from them and we are really looking forward to it as their boats look fantastic.

I was wondering if anyone here has used them before, they seem very strict about pick up time, which is fair enough, but how are they on the hand over? Do they take into account previous experience (25 years plus) or do they insist on the full works for every boat? Again not a problem just that forewarned is etc etc

Also how far did you get on the first night, any decent pubs about and where did you moor on the last night, again any decent pubs??

Julie

They are Valley Cruises rather than Cruisers. We used to watch them giving instructions to hirers when we moored at their marina. They were thorough, top grade boats, but they could not take you through a lock as there isn't one for a few miles. I recall with amusement that right at the end of the run-through of the boat we'd hear "toot" and knew that the instructor was saying "And this is the horn"!

Pub: The Anchor, Hartshill, one mile away. If Mark is still in charge you'll get good food and ale. Good moorings too. If going the other way, go through Nuneaton before mooring for the night!

Hi

Julie

Never hired from them but their boats are amongst the smartest and best turned out on the cut - where are you heading and how long are you aboard - this will help with the first/last night question.

Assuming you've booked for summer if you are going south you should get to Sutton Stop first night and if you do I can thoroughly recommend the Greyhound.

Edited by NB No Deadlines

I happened to moor overnight at the base a year or so ago and got chatting with the owner. He was most interesting - especially as regards maintaining the excellent appearance and condition of each of his boats. He made two points very clear: first that if a first-time north-bound hirer was worried about locking, he would have one of his men meet them at Atherstone and help them through their first lock. Second, that if someone arrived to hire a boat and he, the owner, did not like their manner - that is, he did not believe that they would care for his boat - he would refuse to hire it to them! The fleet certainly still looks outstanding.

Have a cracking holiday.

Some years ago now (four or five), but we hired Calder Valley after doing our research (hirers for 20 plus years) and we were impressed!

Calder.jpg

I am a little surprised that the layout is not more popular for semi-trads - we found the private back cabin worked well with two others on board and I see from their web site that Dove and Thames have been built to provide an en-suite as well as the second 'family' facility.

We have our own boat now (trad as there will be just the two of us in the main), but if I was buying for family use then I would be very tempted to follow their example in terms of design.

Calder was probably the best boat we ever hired and the initial hand-over was informative and recognised that we were an experienced crew.

I can only answer from my own experience - worked at foxton boats and clubline

on arrival we would show you to your boat and leave you to settle in (fight over who gets which bunk! :lol: )

then we would come and show you through the boat.

this would be geared to your experience but no matter how much you thought you knew, we would go through the lighting of appliances, how the loo worked, where to fill the water etc. then take you through the daily checks in the engine compartment oil, stern tube greasing, weed hatch etc.

this took about 15 mins for an experienced - up to an hour for a complete numbskull!

we would then get you on your way, leaving you to it once we were happy and you were confident that you were ok.

Never hired from them but their boats are amongst the smartest and best turned out on the cut - where are you heading and how long are you aboard - this will help with the first/last night question.

Assuming you've booked for summer if you are going south you should get to Sutton Stop first night and if you do I can thoroughly recommend the Greyhound.

We are going clockwise round the Warwickshire ring only out for a week but we have done it several times before and enjoy the challenge, we think we can reach the Greyhound, a fine pub with very good food on the first night, it was just as we hadn't started from this point we weren't too sure!!