Listen & learn

iteldoo4me

Featured Posts

A funny thing happened to me on the way to my new moorings yesterday.Whilst waiting for my friend to shut the lock gates on the way to Shardlow marina,and obvoiusly struggling with the lock gate,I secured the boat in the lock and climbed the ladder to assist the jammed gate,after a few moments of puffing and getting no where we realised it was electric!. A lesson learnt,of many,and a key purchased.

Yes, my friend said he did the same when he got his boat last year.

I've not actually seen that lock, only the electric ones from Newark to Notts on the Trent. Do the paddles work manually then. Guillotine lock at stamp end has motor on the guillotine, but not the gates the other end. One of the reasons I often struggle to get to Lincoln, as if I'm alone it can be a problem finding a 'slave'.

Edited by Supermalc

Yeah, i did that lock for the first time this summer, both ways.

- Its quite weird, becuase unlike others ive used there is a (crude) computer between you an the paddle buttans

- So you just press once to open them, and it opens them bit-by-bit as it feels fit.

- Unlike the gates, which you have to hold the button down all the time you want them moving, and they dont have any sensors or anythink, to you tell it to open even with 6ft of water behind it.

Also, on the way back the guy in the other lock managed to fill the lock (going up too) but then pressed the wrong button, and had the whole lock emptying again!

- He was obvouly confused, and about to waste a lot of time (and water)

- And using the normal buttons you cant reverse the paddles untill there done

- So i walked over and told him if i press the big red 'stop' button he would be able to save it all going back to square one!! (he was worryed it would sound an alarm, which is doesnt)

Daniel

Yes, my friend said he did the same when he got his boat last year.

I've not actually seen that lock, only the electric ones from Newark to Notts on the Trent. Do the paddles work manually then. Guillotine lock at stamp end has motor on the guillotine, but not the gates the other end. One of the reasons I often struggle to get to Lincoln, as if I'm alone it can be a problem finding a 'slave'.

Yes,slaves are difficult to come by!

hehehehe

that was me, we'd gone through the lock above smoothly and efficiently after having been an offical boat owner for about an hour or so.

we had all 3 people on board swinging on the lock gate to try and close it, when a kind stranger (who i swear was smirking) pointed out the lock was mechanised. to make matters worse I wasn't an official owner of a BW key.

we were so traumatised we had to retire to the pub overnight. :lol: