Opera 10.53

Featured Posts

I don't do automatic or invisible computer upgrades so after being nagged by my browser to upgrade from Opera 10.01 to the latest version, I took the plunge and installed the latest upgrade - what a disaster. For some reason, this latest version of Opera doesn't like Google and would not allow me to connect to my Google web based email account. Nor would it allow me to connect to my bank account - in both cases throwing up error messages telling me variously that I had typed in the wrong address (both are bookmarked) or that the connection had been refused by the remote server. I tried everything I could think of and although I could get the basic http://www.google.co.uk or http://www.google.com pages up, as soon as I tried to log on the Opera seemed to go sleep for several minutes and then produce the, now familiar, error pages. The same happened with www.lloydstsb.com - it seems that those sites have a form of security encryption that this latest version of Opera cannot cope with.

The only consolation was that Canal World seemed to work well!

I have now spent most of the night on the problem and, as a last resort, I have removed Opera altogether and reverted to my back-up disk to reinstall an earlier version.

I have always preferred Opera over other browsers - in the earliest instance because it was quick to download, took up very little disk space and appeared to run a lot quicker. Then enhancements were added like multiple tabs and the option to duplicate tabs which I find invaluable when 'moderating' here. Another useful feature is the 'wand' which speeds up form filling and lately I have been very pleased with Opera's spell checker. But this latest upgrade (10.53) seems to be far too heavy with features that I am unlikely to use or appreciate and what used to be a quick and fast program to download and install has doubled in size since the first beta issue of version 10 a couple of years ago. Have they tried to go too far?

Edited by NB Alnwick

. Have they tried to go too far?

I too removed the latest version of Opera - not for the same reasons as you but I found it would frequently crash and 'hang' and with sites that worked perfectly well with IE and Chrome - as I didn't have the earlier version to roll back to I just defaulted back to Chrome.

It is a pity because in all other respects it was a nice browser and did seem faster than the others, that is until it fell over....

Edited by MJG

I have tried and tested Opera 10.53 and found no problems with it, but I still prefer firefox. I sometimes give Safari, IE and Chrome a run - always go back to firefox though.

John

I have been running Opera 10.53 for weeks and had absolutely no issues at all, it is superb.

If you want the earlier versions they are all available at Opera.com

This page has all the available versions for each OS >> http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?os=...ws&list=all

That's a good link cheers...

Currently trying version 10.50, lets see how it goes....

UPDATE - nope Opera still not happy 2 crashes this morning while downloading PDF's which are fine with Chrome, so back to Chrome it is then........

Edited by MJG