Boiler aboard!

Alastair

Featured Posts

Ok, it's a long way off being fitted, but at least it is aboard. We bought a domestic pressure jet boiler - £664 - from Merlin boilers. It was delivered today, had to be transferred to the Landrover to get over the (very muddy) field. I girded my loins, had a cheese toatie, and carried the lump aboard. The courier frightened me at first, by saying that it weighed 123kg (that's what the consignment note said), but it didn't, it was only 90kg.

Now I have a fun weekend ahead, routing 40m of HEP20 pipe round the sailing barge. :wacko:

We bought the 60/80 model, with a bigger jet to cope with 35sec fuel. I don't think I'll have it fitted inside of 2 weeks - have to fit all the plumbing first.

2 weeks!!!

How will you keep me warm till then?

• 2 months later...

After reading the posts regarding the available boat diesel boilers not being up to the job in a 'live-aboard' enviroment, this Merlin Bolier sounds like it is designed for contstaint use.

How have you found this bolier?

One of the reason that I like diesel heaters (though I only have experience with a drip feed Kabola 'stove' style space heater) is that they use little or no electic so can be left on without having to have a shore hook up. Does the Merlin draw alot of power from your batteries?

After reading the posts regarding the available boat diesel boilers not being up to the job in a 'live-aboard' enviroment, this Merlin Bolier sounds like it is designed for contstaint use.

How have you found this bolier?

One of the reason that I like diesel heaters (though I only have experience with a drip feed Kabola 'stove' style space heater) is that they use little or no electic so can be left on without having to have a shore hook up. Does the Merlin draw alot of power from your batteries?

Due to being very busy with work, I haven't fitted it yet!

It would draw quite a lot - so when sailing we will be relying on drip-fed heaters.