Jabsco Shower Drain Pumps

Featured Posts

I'll see what I can do. It may be possible to dismantle some of the pump while it's still bolted in place in the recess and maybe check it. Otherwise I may have to remove it somehow and start from scratch by testing the pump on its own.

I ran the system this morning and find it works but very very slowly. You can see water passing through the filter but not with much force so it's basically trickling through.

I'm hoping to avoid a complete overhaul of the system with all the mess it would create so I'll try to use hot water and a plunger again now I at least located a sliver of plastic. There could well be more debris stuck in the pipe somewhere.

All in all, though, I do think it's sheer madness for a boatbuilder to start plastering in pumps and pipes thereby creating maintenance problems. When I finally get this problem sorted out I plan to make every outlet, pipe and pump as a whole easy to remove and service.

After 6 months, you've probably got the darn thing sorted, but I had exactly the same problem, jabsco pump, just about pumping water from the shower drain, but not enough power to send it out of the skin fitting. Drove me mad for weeks, pump in, pump out, dismantled, hoses changed, new impeller ( not there was anything wrong with the old one as it turned out ) then just as I was about to throw overboard, I thought ...one last try, took the thing out again, took it to bits and found a tiny light brown stone, almost invisible against the brass body partially blocking the pump inlet, removed stone, now shower water hits the boat next door!!!

If the pump is a pig to get to, then I'm assuming you can't see all of the pipework either.

Could the suction pipe (between the shower drain & pump) be collapsing under the vaccum, de-laminated even and that's what you have found in the filter?

Try connecting a good bit of hose to the pump inlet and pumping a bucket of water, if all OK, then you know where the fault is.

Impeller pumps usually go spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrt, diaphram pumps go spurt spurt spurt spurt spurt spurt.

Edit: OK, I just noticed the date on the posts!

Edited by ThePiglet