Bath Marina

waterlily

Featured Posts

I have just had a look at Bath Marina and wondered if anyone on this forum has or is moored there. I understand they do have some residential moorings which come up occasionally, but they do have a leisure mooring vacancy at the moment which might suit Lily. I know I could phone and speak to them, but it is just curiosity at this time. Thanks.

Edited by waterlily

I've not lived there but I've looked at a couple of boats there.

I don't like it there because it's ugly. But then again, most marinas are a bit ugly.

The river moorings however are fantastic imo.

Hahaha that is very informative. I have peeped at it and thought it was quite nice but small and the boats seem to be all over the place. I just wonder what it is like to be near to the end of a long canal and not on a ring. At least on the GU where I am we can get about a bit given a little time, but surely mooring in Bath does not give one much chance of visiting the system?

Hahaha that is very informative. I have peeped at it and thought it was quite nice but small and the boats seem to be all over the place. I just wonder what it is like to be near to the end of a long canal and not on a ring. At least on the GU where I am we can get about a bit given a little time, but surely mooring in Bath does not give one much chance of visiting the system?

It's true. You can go to bristol in a (fairly long) day from there, or the other way towards reading, 5 or 6 days away and that's about it. I want to go on an extended cruise this summer, but taking two weeks to do the bath->rading and back again bit is making it hard to fit in.

One other annoying thing about bath marina is that you have to go through weston lock to get to the centre of bath. It's the slowest filling and emptying lock I've ever come across. Which means no quick pop into town for the shopping trips.

I moored there for a year in the early 1990s, long before it was sold to British Waterways. I had a pontoon mooring out on the river which was lovely and gave a good view. No security though - anyone could access it from the towpath (this may have changed of course). I never had any trouble though - the worst that happened was turning up one day to find some empty beer cans littered around the deck and some discarded fishing tackle. At that time I lived and worked in London, and would escape to the boat many weekends. For that purpose the cruising ground suited me perfectly - I could arrive Fri night, set off on Sat morning and potter off to somewhere downstream for a couple of nights, or pass upstream into Bath and moor by the rugby ground by Pulteney Bridge, or venture up the lock flight and on to the K&A. Quite often I might set off and go all the way into Bristol for a night out - the Floating Harbour was a fascinating place but very different now of course.

It depends on what you want to do. Access to the rest of the system is a lot of work and takes time - either the whole length of the K&A (fantastic but hard work) or up the Severn Estuary to Sharpness. As my boat at that time was a small Dutch tjalk the estuary was not a great problem but with a narrowboat you have to wait for a reasonably calm weather window to do it - and wait to get back too unless you're lucky.

Dominic

Evening,

I know some people that live there and they seem to like it-quite social if you want to be, not far to cycle into town, all the usual facilities as well as a campsite which is handy when family come to stay!

As far as I`m concerned i may as well live in a terraced house-packed in like sardines!