Sealed Lead Acid batteries

Jim and Paula

Featured Posts

Our current battery bank is on it’s last legs. The 6 110Ahr batteries are just over three years old so we can’t complain (we live aboard and are CCers with no shore power).

The current batteries live on the swim plates and are a real pain to get at for maintenance etc. We are toying with the idea of buying sealed batteries and fitting them in a void space under the dining table (beside the pump out tank).

Does anyone else use sealed batteries and if so, would you recommend them as a replacement for standard vented types?

Yes, we use 2V sealed batteries which are kept in the boat in an equipment room. Ours are in a sealed compartment, which is vented to the outside.

You may have problems with the BSC as surveyors might see the situation differently and with respect to any surveyors who are members on here, many surveyors are not battery experts and are just looking to "fill pigeon-holes" and "tick boxes".

Most sealed batteries have an emergency vent built into them and they can release gas under extreme conditions.

I have designed electrical systems on boats using sealed batteries and as a precaution, usually put them in a vented compartment (often with an extraction system) and most importantly, get a certificate to say they are sealed, from the battery manufacturers.

These steps are usually enough to overcome any objections from BSS surveyors.

We too are liveaboard CCers with no shorepower and have had 8 x 120ah AGMs for the last 3years, installed across the boat in the backcabin, they have been trouble free and no sign of gassing. We have to wait and see if they justify double the price of ordinary vented wet lead acid, if we get 4 years from them then we will be reasonably satisfied. If you do go for AGMs check whether they are American or European spec, they require different charging voltages, we didn't realise ours were European and had been charging at too low a voltage for over 2 years!

Edited by nb Innisfree

If you are getting sealed batteries then surely the maintenance problem is resolved and they can remain on the swim.

If you move them you will need some really hefty cables to charge them and/or to get the power back to your electrics which presumeably are distributed from the engine hole.

If you are anywhere near Oxford 'vince1969' sometimes has 115 ah leisure batteries @ £25 each.

Edited by johnjo

If you are getting sealed batteries then surely the maintenance problem is resolved and they can remain on the swim.

If you move them you will need some really hefty cables to charge them and/or to get the power back to your electrics which presumeably are distributed from the engine hole.

If you are anywhere near Oxford 'vince1969' sometimes has 115 ah leisure batteries @ £25 each.

Hi Jonjo,

Very good point, I maust have been having one of my senior moments!!!!

You are right, if I do go sealed, I can keep them on the swim plate.