Why black water tank after Vactanning?

Québec

Featured Posts

After searching through previous postings, and having spent the yesterday and today inside our integral water tank de-rusting and Vactanning accompanied by blow heater to keep tank well above the ambient -1C (I know it's not the best time of year to do it...but needs must!) I'm trying to work out why, if Vactan "has been tested and certified as fit for use in potable water systems", is there a need to apply a coat of non-toxic blacking? Could we fill the tank and use the water safely as of now? What are the advantages of blacking after a complete Vactanning.

I used Comastic on top of Vactan and some small areas are peeling - but not rusty.

According to the Vactan blurb it treats rust and then acts as a primer, but I'm curious whether your then supposed to rub down this primer to provide a key for any overcoating.

Anyone any idea what your supposed to do?

Assuming you used Comastic in your water tank, this is coal tar based and isn't suitable, only bitumen blacking is ok for potable water.