Changeover switches

Featured Posts

I was looking at the above switches today and noticed some have a polarity indicator light whilst others don't.

Likewise some have gauges or lights to indicate an incoming AC supply.

Anyone any idea whether these warning lights or gauges are required for RCD/BSS or whether they are optional? Particularly when using inverters with auto switching(UPS) where you don't really need changeover switches anyway.

I don't have a shore connection, as such, but do have a genset plugged into the shore supply socket and wired through the inverter/breakers to the ring main.

I am uncertain as to whether I would still need the above lights or gauges, even though I don't have the switch.

Edited by david and julie

I was looking at the above switches today and noticed some have a polarity indicator light whilst others don't.

Likewise some have gauges or lights to indicate an incoming AC supply.

Anyone any idea whether these warning lights or gauges are required for RCD/BSS or whether they are optional? Particularly when using inverters with auto switching(UPS) where you don't really need changeover switches anyway.

I don't have a shore connection, as such, but do have a genset plugged into the shore supply socket and wired through the inverter/breakers to the ring main.

I am uncertain as to whether I would still need the above lights or gauges, even though I don't have the switch.

I used a standard 32a changeover switch from a company called BDC to change from shore to inverter

It cost £28 no flashing lights ot gauges but it does the job perfectly

I use a UPS on my PC so i can change from shore to inverter without having to reboot

my boat passed its boat safety last week