L & L Apperley Bridge area

LoneWolf

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise on the best place to get Diesel, gas & possibly solid fuel between Apperley Bridge & Rodley?

If any locals have phone numbers for boatyards/marinas that would also be appreciated so i can phone them up & ask about sunday opening & allowing diesel split declarations etc

My Nicholsons for this area appears woeffullly out of date.

thanks in advance - i have to log off now (batteries!) but i'll be back later

Apperley Bridge Marina 01274 616961, how has your trip been, did you enjoy Skipton?

Thanks Kerching & Matthew

I shall be pootling down to Apperley Bridge tomorrow.

Yeah, Skipton was nice. good shops, 2 laundrettes (both shut on weekends tho!), beers with Ange & Dave. Ended up staying longer than i'd intended tho due to having to investigate water under the sink & waking up with the realisation that I had no idea if there was anti freeze in the coolantwater.

Am at Field3 now which is lovely.

I must say this canal is probably the most difficult I've done so far though.

Apperley Bridge Marina 01274 616961, how has your trip been, did you enjoy Skipton?

Just noticed you are at Shipley - I have passed you!

That 18 times clockwise bridge is mental innit.

Took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to do it (10 just looking for the wedges - lol) and had just resigned myself to making drivers wait for a very long time while i single handed through it & was tying line to the bridge when another boat came into view.

Yes Dockfield Rd swing bridge is hard work, quite why its not mechanised I don't know. Once you know how it works the instructions make sense, but first time its not easy. The run down to Apperley Bridge is very pleasant so enjoy it, the swing bridge just before it (after Dobsons locks) is very busy with motorists - just ignore them, but you might get lucky and come across another boat. The run down to Leeds is always enjoyable if you like urban canals. Where are you headed for ultimately?

the canal into Leeds is one of the least urban urban-canals I have seen, the city sort of sneaks up on you. Complete opposite of the Liverpool end. This end also has swing bridges designed to confuse boaters, no two are the same. some you unlock and press a button, some you press a button then push, some you wind with a handle, some have locks on the locks.

Yes Dockfield Rd swing bridge is hard work, quite why its not mechanised I don't know. Once you know how it works the instructions make sense, but first time its not easy. The run down to Apperley Bridge is very pleasant so enjoy it, the swing bridge just before it (after Dobsons locks) is very busy with motorists - just ignore them, but you might get lucky and come across another boat. The run down to Leeds is always enjoyable if you like urban canals. Where are you headed for ultimately?

I dont really mind the manual ones & can manage with a bit of clambering and hauling but I dont think it's possible to do the mechanised ones without enlisting the help of passers by; I dont dare tie the boat to them without knowing how they're going to open. We shall see how i get on with the Dobsons lock one today...

Heading for Leeds then will turn round & spend the winter between Rodley & Skipton.