range cookers

Barryh

Featured Posts

I have an Esse Ironheart (already on the boat) and it seems to work very well so far, but I think easier to light when I fit a non-oxford size chimney! Only problem is the amount of heat it kicks out this time of year- I light it and after chucking couple of logs on just leave it to burn out, and its way hot enough! Will go through the winter with it but may be forced to change or add back boiler??

I am having to trade in the bigger fridge for a gas oven and hob for summer cooking which is a shame as it was gas free- just not practical!

Interesting options and variances.

Would suggest that a proper plan and costing of each stove/ranges options is a must, especially if fitting out a boat from new /renovating completly.

hence plan / research fully and properly and dont try and cut corners ( nothing wrong with "good deals though")

When we looked at the stove options we considered that we wanted a gas free boat, easy maitenance, "modern" controls (7 day timer settings etc)

that would control heat/ availabilty and control costs.

We opted as we have stated several times for the heritage Uno - they were very helpfull - (a number of phone calls over the months)

The product is "boat" suitable. Compact and uses reliable hardware that spares/servising shouldnt be an issue for the future.

What we needed to do was

Install suitable fuel tanks for the stove - (under the front deck - not cheap but we did also change to stainless water tanks at the same time to get the fuel tanks in) (@ £1800) Stove was @ £4k - add in £850 for 5 radiators / piping / pump / controls etc. we also had to get the flue custom built (uxbridge boat centre at @ 150) ..

Commisoning costs @ 150.00

Not cheap - but options are getting seperate stove ( bss approved) water heater and heating were also not that cheap

plus that meant 3 systems to install commision, find space for etc.plus soem questions on length or durability/reliability..

Our stove uses a pressurised system - (similar pressure vessel to the cold water system) that keeps it "working", so no header tank issues,

we have 3 heat sink radiators - (Bathroom, Loo and engine room ( they can be turned off if required), plus one for bedroom area and one for saloon

System uses thermostat / Y valve control and you can set the start / running time.

and as stated take a while to laern to cook on - but warms the boat in 10-15 mins snug in 20-30 cooking similar..

and as on a timer you can "control" the length of time it runs / making its more economical.

Its probably not as cheap as coal, free wood or gas, but needs no cleaning out and no gas cylinder changes - we get the fuel boats along very few weeks and top up,,

Happy to discuss any details via pm.

Well they got stove and now have to plum in. I would consider the header tank needs to be big enough that if pump failed or wind changed the fire would burn out before the water would have boiled away?

Looking at 15 MJ/Kg for wood and the Latent Heat of Vaporization for water is 2260 KJ/Kg since wood is lighter than water i.e. it floats then the header tank needs to hold 14 pints of water to sink heat from 1 Kg of wood. Not sure of weight of wood that will fit in fire box and of course there will be heat loss from else where as well as boiling water so I would guess looking at around half to one gallon capacity.

It would be easier to have something ready built so radiator header tank from car, van or wagon would take pressure and water temperature with handy filler built in (radiator cap) next is to select a suitable tank from a scrap yard with easy mounting.

I am sure I am not the first with this idea so are there any pointers as to size or suitable vehicle to get one off? Also any advice on calculations how much weight of wood will fit in an Agar I have only guessed at 1kg and with 30 miles between my Son and Daughter-in-law not so easy to find out.

The stove is at front of boat and wants a number of radiators and with their position I would think they will thermo syphon but may need pump to start them so considering something like central-heating3.JPG any comments welcome I am no plumber I am an electrician so I may be completely up the creak? or should that be cut?

• 1 month later...

Well seems cooker fitted and although radiators did get hot at top there was not enough thermal syphon to stop it boiling the water in the tank so a pump was added however this started to circulate the water in header tank and so further mods are required. I have suggested by-pass valve as in original plan waiting for next report.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

If anyone has any advice regarding the installation or conversion of an Esse range, I'd warmly receive any and all advice! I bought an Esse Century, c1950s from Ebay in May and it's been sitting on my dutch barge waiting to be used. I just cannot find anyone willing to work with it! It's currently a drip feed model, but I'd be happy to convert to pressure jet, if indeed that was possible, or to Solid Fuel. I'm not keen on gas. I'm moored in central London.

I was hoping to cook Christmas dinner on it this year!

:lol:

Thanks!

SJ

DB INITIO