Body in the Canal

The Wanderer

Featured Posts

A body has been found on Wednesday morning in the Rochdale Canal near Ducie Street in the centre of Manchester.

I was talking to a boater on Wednesday and they mentioned that the Police knocked on a boat that had been moored near by to ask if they had heard anything over night. Apparently they hadn't heard a thing.

It has been repoted in the press but I'm to sure how to provide a link, hopefully someone can do it for me.

I understand that bodies have been recovered from this stretch before.

It has been repoted in the press but I'm to sure how to provide a link, hopefully someone can do it for me.

I understand that bodies have been recovered from this stretch before.

You can read about it here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...ty_centre_canal

(or here: http://is.gd/37gex )

There are huge numbers of pubs and clubs alongside the canal in Manchester. Occasionally someone who is drunk falls into the canal. If the canal wasn't there they might just as easily have fallen under a taxi.

A couple of people have drowned recently a bit further down the canal at Canal Street. At the Coroner's suggestion, the historic environment is being ruined by the construction of safety fencing. Perhaps the Coroner will now suggest that even more safety fencing is erected? Why is the Coroner not questioning the wisdom of allowing so many drinking institutions to open so close to a canal?

Of minor interest may be some of the comments which follow the article:

"do we need a canal running through the city centre?"

"someone was ran over the other day......do we needs road running through the city centre?"

etc...

Edited by MartinClark

Maybe the local drinking establishments should be told to erect prominent signs near the exits like this:

NOTICE TO ALL PATRONS

AFTER LEAVING THE PREMISES PLEASE DO NOT URINATE IN

THE CANAL AS THIS CAN LEAD TO SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH

By order