Cyanide from Sprayfoam

Featured Posts

A friend of mine is about to fit out a narrowboat and intends to have it sprayfoamed first. However, he has recently been told that there is, or can be, a potentially serious problem with a slow release of cyanide gas from it :lol: . Has anyone ever come across this or heard anything about this :lol:

A friend of mine is about to fit out a narrowboat and intends to have it sprayfoamed first. However, he has recently been told that there is, or can be, a potentially serious problem with a slow release of cyanide gas from it :lol: . Has anyone ever come across this or heard anything about this :lol:

I'll be interested to hear an authoritative answer.

I believe that cyanide gas can be produced when some types of PU foam are burned, though I've also been told that the later varieties as used for sprayfoam either don't do this or are much better. Again I'd like to hear some proper info on this, it's always been a bit of a worry to me what will happen to all the sprayfoam-insulated boats when they reach the end of their lives and have to be cut up, IF this is a real issue.

Tim

.... it's always been a bit of a worry to me what will happen to all the sprayfoam-insulated boats when they reach the end of their lives and have to be cut up, IF this is a real issue.

Tim

It can't be so bad. It's not so many years ago asbestos was the best insulation product on the market..... :lol:

2 pack PU automotive finishes are cured with iso-cyanates which in some cases can lead to breathing difficulties (chronic asthma) if not used in properly ventilated conditions. :lol:

Assuming the foam components are properly mixed in the correct proportions and used as the manufacturer intended, no problems should follow. The foaming agents evolve either CO2 or nitrogen gas so again, there shouldn't be any problems. :lol:

I'll be interested to hear an authoritative answer.

I believe that cyanide gas can be produced when some types of PU foam are burned, though I've also been told that the later varieties as used for sprayfoam either don't do this or are much better. Again I'd like to hear some proper info on this, it's always been a bit of a worry to me what will happen to all the sprayfoam-insulated boats when they reach the end of their lives and have to be cut up, IF this is a real issue.

Tim

yes me to ,i am in bits over it.

As far as I understand - yes, PU will release hydrogen cyanide when it burns.

The PU you would sprayfoam will be flame-retardant (or at least it certainly should be), however if the boat truly goes up in flames I would think it will eventually burn, retardant or not. If you're stuck on a burning boat and can't get out, the cyanide is only one of your problems and the likelyhood is that the smoke will get you first. (sorry, doesn't really bear thinking about, but probably true).

With sprayfoam being the insulation of choice - every major new-build using it for insulation - and no reports of cyanide release ever being a problem, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it - just don't slap the stuff around the burner and don't start fires anywhere but inside the burner!

All that said, I opted for thermawrap based on a ) price and b ) the (uncertain) cyandide factor...

Edited by monobrow