Preston Brook & Salterton

john b.

Featured Posts

Hi, Does anyone know the tunnel times for Salterton and Preston Brook for a northward passage? Many thanks.

I'm pretty sure that for Salterton it is on the hour until 20 past going north. For Preston Brook it is on the hour until 10 past.

Going south it is on the half hour until 20 to for Preston Brook and on the half hour until 10 to for Salterton.

I'm pretty sure that for Salterton it is on the hour until 20 past going north. For Preston Brook it is on the hour until 10 past.

Going south it is on the half hour until 20 to for Preston Brook and on the half hour until 10 to for Salterton.

Cheers :lol:

Cheers :lol:

This is what Waterscape says:

Trent & Mersey Canal

Preston Brook Tunnel: Access to Preston Brook Tunnel is restricted to northbound on the hour to 10 mins past the hours; southbound on the half hour to 20 mins to the hour. 1239 yards long and forbidden to unpowered craft No towpath within this crooked tunnel.

Saltersford Tunnel: Saltersford Tunnel is crooked, affording only a brief glimpse of the other end. Two boats cannot pass. 424 yards length.

Barnton Tunnel: Barnton Tunnel is crooked. 572 yards in length. 2 boats can not pass each other.

No times given for Barnton and Saltersford but I think the times I gave do apply.

No times given for Barnton and Saltersford but I think the times I gave do apply.

Yes it's Saltersford :lol:

And yes it's on the hour going North, and on the half-hour going South, for both Preston Brook and Saltersford. No times on Barnton (unless it's been changed recently, I don't think it has although there has been some pressure for Barnton to be timed).

Tim

Yes it's Saltersford :lol:

And yes it's on the hour going North, and on the half-hour going South, for both Preston Brook and Saltersford. No times on Barnton (unless it's been changed recently, I don't think it has although there has been some pressure for Barnton to be timed).

Tim

Correct and current for both Barnton and Saltersford.

Only about a week ago whilst moored up on the Weaver we took a stroll up and along the towpath between these two tunnels.

Saltersford displays notices to enter at the set times only, (and I watched a boat wait until just "on the hour"), whereas Barnton, which you can clearly see through, has the notices about only entering whilst clear.