This years "Big voyage"

sharpness

Featured Posts

Hello all

We are planning this years “big voyage”, 2 weeks + bank holiday Monday starting 15th August.

At the moment the very loose plan is to

Leave Sharpness Saturday morning, overnight in Gloucester docks.

Sunday – River Severn to overnight at Worcester. I understand there are moorings on the river somewhere near the racecourse, is that right?

Monday – Up to Stourport & on to the Staffs & Worcs.

From there, no particular plan, we’d like to see the Shroppie if we get that far. We’re not lock & mile counters, we’ll stop when we’ve had enough for the day if we find a nice quiet spot. We prefer out in the sticks to in the towns, the occasional pub is nice, saves cooking, cant stand nouvelle cuisine? 2 green beans with fancy gravy over the raspberries isn’t enough for either of us. Don’t go much on anything other than good old meat & 2 veg to be honest.

We’ve not been that way before other than The Bratch by car so please has anyone any recommendations, where to stop, places to avoid mooring, all the usual things. The other half likes a bit of retail therapy now and again, I shall take enough rum to last the trip!

Thanks

Steve & Lynne

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all

We are planning this years “big voyage”, 2 weeks + bank holiday Monday starting 15th August.

At the moment the very loose plan is to

Leave Sharpness Saturday morning, overnight in Gloucester docks.

Sunday – River Severn to overnight at Worcester. I understand there are moorings on the river somewhere near the racecourse, is that right?

Monday – Up to Stourport & on to the Staffs & Worcs.

From there, no particular plan, we’d like to see the Shroppie if we get that far. We’re not lock & mile counters, we’ll stop when we’ve had enough for the day if we find a nice quiet spot. We prefer out in the sticks to in the towns, the occasional pub is nice, saves cooking, cant stand nouvelle cuisine? 2 green beans with fancy gravy over the raspberries isn’t enough for either of us. Don’t go much on anything other than good old meat & 2 veg to be honest.

We’ve not been that way before other than The Bratch by car so please has anyone any recommendations, where to stop, places to avoid mooring, all the usual things. The other half likes a bit of retail therapy now and again, I shall take enough rum to last the trip!

Thanks

Steve & Lynne

If you can't moor on the river at Stourport go up the locks, through the basin & up the next lock. Moorings are on right and run parallel to the shops.

Kidderminster has a tesco & sainsburys canal side. We don't leave the boat unattended or stay overnight.

Wolverley has 1st class tea shop and papers are sold in village.

Kinver excellent food & moorings

Compton safe moorings, good food shopping & launderette. Excellent Indian above Spar. It isn't obvious but it is the door on the left of the block.

Will go a bit further when I get time

Sue

It is worth going to Wheaton Aston for cheap diesel. Don't moor near Autherley junction. Brewood is good for food shopping. It really is worth buying First Mate guides from a chandlers or www.canalmate.co.uk.

How far do you expect to get?

Sue