Caldon Canal

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Just returned from a trip from my base on the Peak Forest to the Caldon, the one problem of mooring where I do is that every cruise with few exceptions must begin and end with the same two day trip along the Macclesfield. I am always struck by how little the canal system changes over the years but at the same time a myriad of barely noticed improvement make a cruise ever easier and more enjoyable.

It struck me that during my two week trip I have not needed to use my boarding plank a single time and only once did I use a single mooring spike. Bosley Locks on the Macclesfield are in better condition now than they have been in my time and all this talk of hordes of hire boats queueing up at locks sometimes makes me think I am cruising a different system to everyone else. I know it was a week after the school holidays but I was not held up for more than a single locking and that only a couple of times. Each passage through the Harecastle Tunnel was with no more than three other boats, (the maximum being eight).

Contrary to the pronouncements of some prophets of doom none all my old watering holes had been spoilt in any way and many had been distinctly improved.

Now we have been travelling up and down the Macc. at least yearly for the last twenty odd years and every time we had the firm intention of visiting Little Moreton Hall, the National Trust Property near Congleton, this year we managed it, a fifteen minute signposted walk across the fields. It was much better than could have been anticipated, a Tudor moated manor house barely altered since it was built over 400 years ago, I would recommend everyone to make time on your trip for a visit.

The Caldon Canal is as nice as ever with a lot of money having been spent at the Frogall end, the tunnel is now passable, though I did manage to scrape some paint off the front corners of my roof, a brand new lock, basin and pontoon moorings have been constructed, well worth an overnight stay.

One of the few little irritations, when I approach bridges I tend to give the other chap the benefit of the doubt and I wave him through, many are first time hirers and holding station with a narrowboat is one of the most difficult things to do but why does the other bloke then creep through the bridge-hole without making a perceptible bow wave making you wait for several minutes, I am sure people never used to do that. Ah well 'grumpy old men' again.

Oh yes, I was shrieked at only once, to slow down by a stupid woman in a very expensive looking boat moored in the centre of Macclesfield, the fact that I was literally on tick-over didn't seem to impress her much.

Dog fouling is still a problem but at least the accompanying humans have the good grace to look a bit guilty these days.

Edited by John Orentas

Quote: Oh yes, I was shrieked at only once, to slow down by a stupid woman in a very expensive looking boat moored in the centre of Macclesfield, the fact that I was literally on tick-over didn't seem to impress her much. Unquote

Perhaps your tick over needs adjusting 1.gif

Dog fouling is still a problem but at least the accompanying humans have the good grace to look a bit guilty these days

Thats the second time you were in the s**t, you are getting very careless in your old age. :lol:

Glad you had a good trip

Edited by bottle

Contrary to the pronouncements of some prophets of doom none all my old watering holes had been spoilt in any way and many had been distinctly improved. 

30496[/snapback]

My opinions should not be regarded as Pronouncements.

Derek (a.k.a. Prophet of Doom) :lol:

Edited by Derek

My opinions should not be regarded as Pronouncements.

Derek (a.k.a. Prophet of Doom) :lol:

31168[/snapback]

Derek.

My comments were certainly not aimed at you in any way. I wasn't even sure if I was picking up on something I read on this site, just something in the back of my mind.

Didn't think they were, John! But seriously though I'm surprised that you thought the pubs were not busier with food that when you visited last.

Perhaps the period of time between your visits was longer than mine. I hadn't been up for about eight years.

This visit I couldn't get a seat even in the garden in the Black Lion At Consal. Last time it was virtually deserted.

The only pubs I thought were unchanged were the Sportsman at Stockton Brook and the Black 'un at Cheddleton, up the hill.

Derek

Derek.

I have no problem with pubs selling food or even with added restaurants as long it is done without destroying the place, we have all seen many of the nicer pubs turned into plastic imitations of there former selves complete with microwave menu and playground in the garden, I don't even mind the playground too much but inevitably the pub itself turns into an extension of it.

I was in the Black Lion on a warm Sunday afternoon, though it was just after the holidays, it was busy but not over-crowded. The Holly Bush is just as it has always been, it now has a restaurant added and a children's play area with even a mini-zoo but not spoilt at all. I was there over the weekend of the Big Flood in 1989, tied up to a tree outside Castro's as it is called now.

The Boat at Cheddleton is just as good as ever though I did not try the other two you mentioned. I even went into the Foxley, not as nice as it was, few people used to stop there but in spite of it's drab surroundings I found it a good place for an overnight stay. (Diane Dors used to be a regular there).