Fridge inverter problem

Robin2

Featured Posts

I have a 230v fridge freezer which runs happily from my Sterling inverter when the inverter is NOT on Power Saver mode. However I discovered that it did not work properly when I switched over to Power Saver mode and I had to throw out some items that were in the freezer. I know that the fridge compressor does run when the inverter is in Power Saver mode, but I assume that it does not run as much as it should and I don't know why.

Using Power Saver mode reduces the 12v electricity consumption by about 3 amps - which is a lot over a full day.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or better still, found a solution?

I have a 230v fridge freezer which runs happily from my Sterling inverter when the inverter is NOT on Power Saver mode. However I discovered that it did not work properly when I switched over to Power Saver mode and I had to throw out some items that were in the freezer. I know that the fridge compressor does run when the inverter is in Power Saver mode, but I assume that it does not run as much as it should and I don't know why.

Using Power Saver mode reduces the 12v electricity consumption by about 3 amps - which is a lot over a full day.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or better still, found a solution?

Yes I have had problems with the power saving mode on my Sterling 3kw pure sine (5 years old) It does not like my fridge (and some other appliances) which cause it to "cycle" in and out of load. I have reverted back to the non power saving setting. TBH I don't think it was that huge a saving in power anyway.

I use the "power saver" mode (I think its called AES) on my Victron multi.

All my kit runs fine.

You can see the dc amps out change as the mode changes & also the voltage of the AC as it drops to a monitoring voltage on power save. The lower voltage still allows normal 240v timers to operate properly.

It's a very common problem and has been answered on here numerous times.

Some fridges won't try to switch on until 230 volts is actually present. The inverter won't try to come out of idle until something tries to draw power from it. Catch 22 - the inverter never comes out of idle.

The fridge comes on when something else causes the inverter to come out of idle then the fridge keeps the inverter in full power mode until its thermostat switches it off. Many people don't even spot this is happening because lots of other things keep pulling the inverter out of idle so the fridge apparently works.

I wouldn't expect it to be that high a difference. More like 1.5 or maybe 2 amps. But it still adds up over a day and is power worth saving if possible.

Gibbo

To avoid the Catch22 situation I might try putting a small load on a timer (eg 40w lamp) to make the inverter come on for 15 minutes every hour (say) to give the fridge a chance to work.

Some fridges won't try to switch on until 230 volts is actually present. The inverter won't try to come out of idle until something tries to draw power from it. Catch 22 - the inverter never comes out of idle.

The fridge comes on when something else causes the inverter to come out of idle then the fridge keeps the inverter in full power mode until its thermostat switches it off. Many people don't even spot this is happening because lots of other things keep pulling the inverter out of idle so the fridge apparently works.

Will check that on mine tonight as we have just installed a new fridge. The old one (not that old but newer one is much more efficient) worked ok as you could here it cut in in the middle of the night when nothing else is on.

Justme