Could my engine be seriously retarded?

Featured Posts

Sorry if this has been covered already.....

But as a new or recon starter isn't going to be cheap, is it reasonably easy to detach it from the engine, and then see how it behaves when trying to only turn itself. Obviously if the negative return isn't, (or can't be) bolted to the starter itself, you would need to arrange one that was.

Be careful if you have never done this before - if it does end up turning freely they have a kick like a mule, so need lashing down well before you try, (if only to ensure the live terminal doesn't weld itself to something earthed :lol: ).

snipped

This wouldn't really test the motor under load though Alan. It's under (significant) load that it fails. I would dare bet that it would seem OK under no-load testing such as you suggest.

Roger

This wouldn't really test the motor under load though Alan. It's under (significant) load that it fails. I would dare bet that it would seem OK under no-load testing such as you suggest.

Roger

Yes, I think you are probably right.

But if it did still turn slowly, or the volts keep dropping .........

I don't know if it has been removed so far, but it also might possibly make something obvious that is hidden whilst it is still attached.

Additionally, a good vehicle or marine electrics place should surely be able to diagnose if it's "shot" or not, without putting it under load ?

Yes, I think you are probably right.

But if it did still turn slowly, or the volts keep dropping .........

Then it would definitely be shot

I don't know if it has been removed so far, but it also might possibly make something obvious that is hidden whilst it is still attached.

Additionally, a good vehicle or marine electrics place should surely be able to diagnose if it's "shot" or not, without putting it under load ?

Depends on the type of fault but having got as far as stripping it down (if they do that rather than a straight exchange unit) they will replace whatever seems to be the defective or worn parts. Don't forget that they will be giving the unit back with a warranty of some sort that they will have to honour if their work is deemed to have failed later.

Roger