Am I being Ambitious?

JonL

Featured Posts

I’m picking up a 68 foot boat from Brook Line Boats – bridge 29 on the W&B canal in a few weeks. Usual hire pick up 2.00pm. I’m an experienced if a little rusty narrowboater. My “crew” consists of 4 very keen 14 to 16 lads, 2 mums and a fellow Dad (Broads experience only).

Obviously I’m not going towards Birmingham because the Tardebigge flight on the first afternoon may “dampen” spirits somewhat!

Do you think it’s too ambitious to get down into Worcester and out onto the Severn in the first afternoon? If this is too much does anyone know of any good (safe) mooring in or before Worcester, preferably near a pub, that won’t be all taken by late Saturday afternoon?

Many thanks

Jon

JonL

Welcome.

Using CanalplanaC and assuming bridge 29 is at Dunhampsted (do not know that canal that well).

Total distance is 11 miles, ½ flg and 16 locks.

Made up of 10 miles, 4½ furlongs of narrow canals; 0 miles, 4 furlongs of large rivers; 16 narrow locks.

This will take 7 hours, 3 minutes which is 0 days, 7 hours and 3 minutes at 9 hours per day.

Also, if you have hired before, you know that the pick up time could be a lot later, owing to unforeseen circumstances, boat needs service, boat returned late etc.

Probably very ambitious according to canal planner. Plus you will be lucky to get away for 2. Enjoy.

Total distance is 10 miles, 5 flg and 16 locks.

Made up of 10 miles, 1 furlong of narrow canals; 0 miles, 4 furlongs of large rivers; 16 narrow locks.

This will take 6 hours, 53 minutes which is 0 days, 6 hours and 53 minutes at 9 hours per day

Edit :- Beaten by the better man. Why have we got different results.

Edited by kerching

I’m picking up a 68 foot boat from Brook Line Boats – bridge 29 on the W&B canal in a few weeks. Usual hire pick up 2.00pm. I’m an experienced if a little rusty narrowboater. My “crew” consists of 4 very keen 14 to 16 lads, 2 mums and a fellow Dad (Broads experience only).

Obviously I’m not going towards Birmingham because the Tardebigge flight on the first afternoon may “dampen” spirits somewhat!

Do you think it’s too ambitious to get down into Worcester and out onto the Severn in the first afternoon? If this is too much does anyone know of any good (safe) mooring in or before Worcester, preferably near a pub, that won’t be all taken by late Saturday afternoon?

Many thanks

Jon

I take it you are going to do the Stourport Ring? Going down to Worcester is a tight call particually if you have any delays. When you are out on the river Severn you will then have to find a mooring with your time frame this will probably be Worcester by the racecourse, there are limited places to moor on the Severn. So if your intention is to spend your first evening in Worcester it could be a late one! The other alternative is to go towards Tardebigge but finish the the first evening around the Queens Head a Stoke Pound this is about 4 hours and 12 locks a gentle introduction to end with good towpath mooring opposite the Queens Head. Then the following morning tackle the Tardebigge flight I am sure the 14 to 16 year olds will enjoy this part I did it last year with 2 female crew (they did all the work and lived to tell the tale!). If you are doing the Avon Ring? Then the trip down the Severn is a problem for mooring and you will have to travel for 2 to 3 hours before mooring! Probably at Upton on Severn that is not doable in your time frame!

Not sure about summer time but in winter the lock from Diglis basin to the river Severn is locked shut by the lock keeper at about 6 in the evening. If this is the case I doubt you'll make the Severn on time.

Don't forget the life jackets for the Severn and have a great trip.

Many thanks

Jon

Yes, it is VERY ambitious

Sounds short, but just head to the pub above the first locks, otherwise get past Blackpole Lock, there are moorings (though not easy to drive a pin into) near Viking Afloat

Diglis had lots of moorings when we were there, but it took our (very experienced) crew nearly six hours from there to Dunhampstead