Ribble Link

john b.

Featured Posts

Moored just north of bridge 23 on the Lanky. Crossing the link in the morning - hopefully will not be diverted into lovely (??!) Preston Dock. Taking the boat on her summer hols to Church Minshull on the Middlewich arm for three months. Give us a wave or I'll assume no-one in so will probably not slow down :lol::lol: I will update on our progress - if any!!

Moored just north of bridge 23 on the Lanky. Crossing the link in the morning

Have a great crossing. I bet you won't have such good weather as we did on Sunday though, coming up to the Lanky. Fi took some gorgeous pictures - some from the Douglas already posted on the blog on our website.

We love the Lancaster canal so far - really beautiful. Looking forward to enjoying the next month up here.

Moored just north of bridge 23 on the Lanky. I will update on our progress - if any!!

Well, if today's cruise is anything to go by, I suspect you're still waiting :lol: What a wind! Still, it looks to be easing tomorrow, and Thursday it will be quite calm. Good Luck! or should I say, Bon Voyage?

Edited by Big John

We love the Lancaster canal so far - really beautiful. Looking forward to enjoying the next month up here.

If you're planning on travelling all the way to the current end of proceedings at Tewitfield, I'd strongly recommend a walk along some of the remaindered sections to the north. After the flight of locks at Tewitfield, the next section in water goes from Cinderbarrow culvert up to another culvert at the north side of Holme village - about 3.5 miles in all. Some fantastic views over the southern end of the Lake District and very tranquil indeed. There's also a very pleasant section in water from Crooklands up to Stainton ( the LCT trip boat operates on part of this bit), and Hincaster Tunnel is only a little further on from Stainton and well worth a look, though that section is currently drained and partly infilled.

Hope to bump into you at some stage - I'm one of the Rangers along the canal so if you need any help with anything just give a shout! Or if you see two guys in BW blue miles from anywhere, that will probably be us!

Have fun!

Andy

Well, if today's cruise is anything to go by, I suspect you're still waiting :lol: What a wind! Still, it looks to be easing tomorrow, and Thursday it will be quite calm. Good Luck! or should I say, Bon Voyage?

My wife remembers seeing Epiphany around Bilsborrow on Monday. Recommend an extra night at Hest Bank - some good walks and Whitewalls restaurant just off bridge 118, food excellent.

Believe it or not, despite wind speeds of 25mph we were given the option of crossing over to Tarleton or more sensibly turning left to Preston. 2 widebeams narrowboat Primrose and us. Rsther exhillerating, spray everwhere, need a good rainshower tonight to wash salt off!

Made it to Parbold bt 7.30pm. Just got back from The Wayfarer - excellent meal, would recommend. Hoping to be around Worsley by tomorrow night (we'll see).

Edited by john b.

I crossed the Ribble Link on 9 May as the Link had been closed for the previouse 3 days I was one of 14 boats doing the crossing that day( 3 boats dropped out as they did not fancy the crossing with the high winds) I must admit that I was not looking forward to the crossing as the wind seemed just as high as it had on the other days that the crossings were cancelled anyway made it across it was very exciting with the back of the boat and the prop coming out of the water about 4 times as I came down from some quite high waves!!

Anyway loving the Lancaster Canal.

My wife remembers seeing Epiphany around Bilsborrow on Monday.

My wife remembers seeing Evening Star. What is it that makes them more observant? Or is it just our memories? Enjoy the southern canals!

Not a good day. Left Parbold at 8.00am in the rain. Had problems at the 2 locks around Wigan FC ground - these must be the worst maintained locks on the system! Not surprisingly the 2 locks by the BW offices are perfect (Wife's comment - you weren't the one struggling to close the very heavy new lock doors). Arrived at the Moorings pub at Boothstown, where we moored last year and enjoyed a pretty good meal, only to find it closed down. Continued to Worlsey thinking we would visit the Bridgewater Hotel, only to find it is also closed - it's very sad. So we went back to the boat to watch the Champions League final - very poor reception (which is one reason we wanted a pub) and to top it all Man Utd lost :lol:

Oh well, tomorrows another day (Wife's comment - it may not be if you carry on moaning). :lol:

Crikey - do you lot never sit outide the boats ready to dash to the kettle on the off chance I may come strolling by?! :lol: :lol:

I saw Epiphany moored in Lancaster yesterday (very nice looking boat), though I was keeping an eye on a known unlicenced boat at the time - and then saw Gemma Joy at Bilsborrow today. At least the weather has been a little kinder today, there seemed to be quite a few people on the move. Our unlicenced friend above was seen sneaking through Bilsborrow heading south - he's been sat on the offside south of Lancaster for a while.

Anyway, hope you're all enjoying your visit to the grim North - and give us a wave if you see us - generally wet through and several miles walk from our van :lol: Anything you need to know or if you need a hand with anything - just holler!

Cheers all,

Andy