Guillotine Locks on Midlands Canals

Hobbler

Featured Posts

Someone who had been on the River Nene asked me if there were or had been any Guillotine Locks on the canals in the Midlands .

My first answer was that yes there was one at Kings Norton - the stop lock between the Worcester & Birmingham Canal and the N.Stratford Canal .

However when I thought about there were others - the Bromley Stop Lock on the Stourbridge Extension canal was one and there were eleven Guillotine Locks on the Shrewsbury Canal .

So is the correct answer 13 Guillotine Locks in the Midlands or does anyone know of anymore ?

Someone who had been on the River Nene asked me if there were or had been any Guillotine Locks on the canals in the Midlands .

My first answer was that yes there was one at Kings Norton - the stop lock between the Worcester & Birmingham Canal and the N.Stratford Canal .

However when I thought about there were others - the Bromley Stop Lock on the Stourbridge Extension canal was one and there were eleven Guillotine Locks on the Shrewsbury Canal .

So is the correct answer 13 Guillotine Locks in the Midlands or does anyone know of anymore ?

I would go with that being correct in essence. there are some locks on the Shropshire canals long lost that may have been but thats about it.

I did consider Thurlwood but as it was really "special purpose" due to the brine extraction history in the vicinity I didnt consider it could be regarded as a normal Guillotine . Personally I never found it any easier or quicker to use than a normal lock and would avoid doing so if at all possible.