Towel rail

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Has anyone ever fitted a dry element towel rail into their boat ie http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/product.php?productid=96086 ? or something of this ilk.

Apparently it uses less power than a light bulb (35w) so it shouldn't eat the inverter and has a stable temperature of 65°C .

I looked at plumbing one in to the eber but it struggles to heat the rads we've already got.

Thanks

GB

Has anyone ever fitted a dry element towel rail into their boat ie http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/product.php?productid=96086 ? or something of this ilk.

Apparently it uses less power than a light bulb (35w) so it shouldn't eat the inverter and has a stable temperature of 65°C .

I looked at plumbing one in to the eber but it struggles to heat the rads we've already got.

Thanks

GB

Many years ago you could buy a bed warmer that used a 60w bulb in a cage, almost twice the power of what you are talking about. Most towel rails are 10 or more time as great as this so I can't See it doing much warming and will be drawing about 4 amps from your batteries i.e. 96 ah per day

Many years ago you could buy a bed warmer that used a 60w bulb in a cage, almost twice the power of what you are talking about. Most towel rails are 10 or more time as great as this so I can't See it doing much warming and will be drawing about 4 amps from your batteries i.e. 96 ah per day

I didn't phrase this too well.

It'll only be on when the engines running or when hooked up to shore power or generator and it will only be on for a few hours in the morning and last thing at night.

It will be in the bathroom and wired via ip66 or ip68 rcd with a pull cord switch for safety.

GB

I didn't phrase this too well.

It'll only be on when the engines running or when hooked up to shore power or generator and it will only be on for a few hours in the morning and last thing at night.

It will be in the bathroom and wired via ip66 or ip68 rcd with a pull cord switch for safety.

GB

In that case I think your main problem will be getting any useful warmth from it.

Brian

I've got some electric heaters in my house towel rails. In the summer you turn them on and they warm up the rail without having to put the CH on. They are 150W and fit straight into an ordinary 'wet' towel rail. readily available from B&Q. You could just fill a rad up with water or thin oil, leave an expansion gap, and use one of those. Not super warm but keep the towels aired.

I have a medium size towel rail on my boat. It had a 100w element on a basic mechanical timer, comes on for an hour or so in the morning, same at night.

It gets too hot to touch!! Plus I have toasty warm towels every morning.....

Based on this , a 65w element should be reasonably warm!

Towel rad was about £25 from B&Q and the element was about £8.

I've got some electric heaters in my house towel rails. In the summer you turn them on and they warm up the rail without having to put the CH on. They are 150W and fit straight into an ordinary 'wet' towel rail. readily available from B&Q. You could just fill a rad up with water or thin oil, leave an expansion gap, and use one of those. Not super warm but keep the towels aired.

I have a medium size towel rail on my boat. It had a 100w element on a basic mechanical timer, comes on for an hour or so in the morning, same at night.

It gets too hot to touch!! Plus I have toasty warm towels every morning.....

Based on this , a 65w element should be reasonably warm!

Towel rad was about £25 from B&Q and the element was about £8.

Thanks guys.

Just ordered so I'll let you know what it's like when I wire it up at the weekend.