Shot Blasting

Featured Posts

Gary

That's really the question that I'm asking.

I've read a little bit about it and it would seem like a good idea at the right price, but what, if any are the real benefits?

Thanks for the response.

24772[/snapback]

Most builders use pickled and oiled steel (The mill scale is removed after the plate is rolled and then a protective oil is applied to prevent corrosion) the practise in the dark and distant past was not to pay to have the steel descaled or oiled but to build a hull and then leave it in the open for a few weeks and let the steel rust this also removed the scale. You would then shot blast the hull to remove the rust prior to painting.

If you don't remove the scale and paint over it you might get a nasty surprise in the future because the scale as a bad habit of eventually detaching it's self from the steel and brining the paint with it.

The cost of getting prepared steel is now less then the cost of blasting and cleaning up afterwards so I would be asking a few question about why it needs to be done in the first place. At the hight of the steel shortage last year all sorts of undocumented steel was being offered at some very tempting prices of course most of this was already very rusty. (If you are really concerned ask to look at the certification paperwork for the steel that was used, it's a bit like a birth certificate and proves the specification and origin of the steel used normally BS EN10025)

SRH,

What is the square rigged ship that appears on your signature ?

Is it the "Marlborough" or the "Worcester" perhaps ?

24790[/snapback]

It is indeed the Worcester where I leaned the gentile art of seamanship and boat handling from the tender age of 13.

Most builders use pickled and oiled steel (The mill scale is removed after the plate is rolled and then a protective oil is applied to prevent corrosion) the practise in the dark and distant past was not to pay to have the steel descaled or oiled but to build a hull and then leave it in the open for a few weeks and let the steel rust this also removed the scale. You would then shot blast the hull to remove the rust prior to painting.

If you don't remove the scale and paint over it you might get a nasty surprise in the future because the scale as a bad habit of eventually detaching it's self from the steel and brining the paint with it.

The cost of getting prepared steel is now less then the cost of blasting and cleaning up afterwards so I would be asking a few question about why it needs to be done in the first place. At the hight of the steel shortage last year all sorts of undocumented steel was being offered at some very tempting prices of course most of this was already very rusty. (If you are really concerned ask to look at the certification paperwork for the steel that was used, it's a bit like a birth certificate and proves the specification and origin of the steel used normally BS EN10025)

24774[/snapback]

Gary

Thanks you very much for the very complete explanation. I shall indeed ask the appropriate questions and hopefully avoid the need to part with such a princely sum.